cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW TOPIC - BENEFITS OF FRESH WATER...

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor

NEW TOPIC - BENEFITS OF FRESH WATER FLUSHING

For our salt water boaters.  First total disassembly of my heat exchangers and after coolers.  Twin CUMMINS QSC 600s, 750 hours.  Fresh water flushing has been done since new when the boat was to sit for > 5 days.  Mains and gen set are flushed with dock side fresh water for 10 - 15 minutes with sea cocks closed.  How do you do this?  The  lids of the sea cocks are tapped and a marine t-valve with 5/8" hose adapter installed.  I've used this system on QSM-11, C-Series 450 Diamonds with the same results.  The photo speak for it self...zero corrision was found upon removal. Also, for owners with CUMMINS engines, you should sign up at sbmar.com and benefit from real CUMMINS experts. 

7 REPLIES 7

ron_berman
Guest Contributor
Hi Capt. Rick. Can you post some pictures of the fittings you added to allow the flushing of the system?
Thanks,

Ron Berman

fwebster
Guest Contributor
Be very careful flushing diesels on dockside/city water supplies. The fittings, the hose hose you use and the overall GPM from city water isn't enough flow to cool a diesel engine, so be very sure you monitor engine temps when you are flushing.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Sir...the CUMMINS QSC 600, QSM11 and C Series engines idle at approximately 620rpms. At that rpm the engines require 5gpm to provide sufficient water flow to cool. Fresh water dock service provides 45 to 55 psi which provides 8 to 12 gpm. I encourage owners who wish to use fresh water flushing to NOT run the engines above IDLE speed when flushing. I also encourage diesel owners to subscribe to sbmar.com where expert advise is available on all things diesel.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Here is the photos of the raw water filter caps...all ready to use.

ron_berman
Guest Contributor
Thanks for sharing the pictures and for the great idea.

Ron B.

PiscesPearl
Guest Contributor
I have quick connect air hose couplers on both before/after impeller housing drain plugs. Using a garden hose wye w/shut offs makes flushing safer without running engine. Leaving through hull open flushes strainer too. Gen impeller housing doesn't have drain plugs so haven't worked out how to flush it. I've blown out the strainer cap gasket and cracked the plastic basket with city pressure if the through hull is closed. Don't close the through hull unless you want problems when feeding in city pressure.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
"Air hose couplers". Please post photos of your setup. "blown out strainer cap gasket....with city water pressure". Not sure how that can happen with 50psi. Work on getting that gen set flushed though.