cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Sensor Warning - anyone else...

Waveland_-_Go_C
Guest Contributor

O2 Sensor Warning - anyone else having issues? - I have 2019 290 SDX and the low throttle Fuel Pump failed.  Mercury sent a new pump and my dealer installed it; however, now the O2 Sensor warning is going off.  Dealer thinks it might be the sensor damaged by the failed fuel pump and is going to replace.it.  Hopefully it solves the issue but I was curious is anyone else has had issues with the O2 sensor and ever determined what caused it? 

Also, if replacing the sensor doesn't solve the issue quickly, does anyone know if running the boat with bad O2 sensor could damage the engine while waiting for further analysis or is it just letting you know its an emissions issue?

Any thoughts are appreciate.

2 REPLIES 2

wingless
Rising Contributor
The O2 sensor is important. It detects if the engine is running rich or lean, versus operating properly.

Here are examples of O2 sensor failures caused by contamination, such as from using leaded fuel or by antifreeze.

http://www.walkerproducts.com/resources/technical-support/common-oxygen-sensor-conditions/

The failed sensor can cause poor fuel efficiency, misfire or bad idle.

It is possible there is an electrical fault causing the problem.

Older boats, like my 2000 380DA do not have an O2 sensor, so nothing to cause an alert. (I've owned mine long enough to discover all the undocumented issues and have implemented appropriate PM or redesign to ensure proper operation.)

Waveland_-_Go_C
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the information and link - this is very helpful.