cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waste System

DavidF1
Guest Contributor

I have a 2007 Sea Ray Sundancer 280.  I don't have a macerator so I'm not sure what this does.  Is it suppose to show levels?  What do the head and discharge pump buttons do? 

Thanks

Davidhead switches.jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

CommanderB
Guest Contributor

This is a standard panel for the head. When the key is on, turning the head pump on, the display on the right should show the level of the holding tank, green 'empty', then red 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 though not all of those may light, depends on the sensors in the tank.

The 'buttons' are trip breakers, if there's a blockage causing over current for either of those pumps they would pop out and then need push in to reset. If they are fairly flush they are in the normal position.

If you had a macerator fitted then the spring loaded turn of the key would operate it, you say you dont, so it does nothing.

View solution in original post

CommanderB
Guest Contributor

The ‘discharge’ position is ‘operate macerator’. If you move the key to that position you will hear the macerator pump run if you have one. But the seacock should be closed (in US coastal waters) so the pump will overload quickly and the breaker pop out.  If holding the key in that discharge position there is no pump sound then you almost certainly dont have one (there could be another electrical fault preventing it from running).

If you have the macerator then in order to use it you will need to find the Y diverter valve that switches between holding tank empty and overboard thru hull. Note that in US coastal waters this needs to be ‘locked’, removing the valve handle is normally sufficient. If you must use it then be aware of the discharge limits of the waters you are in. Restrictions will be marked on the chart, but as a generalization, it’s within 2 miles of the coast. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CommanderB
Guest Contributor

This is a standard panel for the head. When the key is on, turning the head pump on, the display on the right should show the level of the holding tank, green 'empty', then red 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 though not all of those may light, depends on the sensors in the tank.

The 'buttons' are trip breakers, if there's a blockage causing over current for either of those pumps they would pop out and then need push in to reset. If they are fairly flush they are in the normal position.

If you had a macerator fitted then the spring loaded turn of the key would operate it, you say you dont, so it does nothing.

Thanks for info - very helpful. I say I don’t have a macerator only because this picture wouldn’t there be a key stop for this switch that says macerator? I’m only going by what I’ve seen in manuals 

CommanderB
Guest Contributor

The ‘discharge’ position is ‘operate macerator’. If you move the key to that position you will hear the macerator pump run if you have one. But the seacock should be closed (in US coastal waters) so the pump will overload quickly and the breaker pop out.  If holding the key in that discharge position there is no pump sound then you almost certainly dont have one (there could be another electrical fault preventing it from running).

If you have the macerator then in order to use it you will need to find the Y diverter valve that switches between holding tank empty and overboard thru hull. Note that in US coastal waters this needs to be ‘locked’, removing the valve handle is normally sufficient. If you must use it then be aware of the discharge limits of the waters you are in. Restrictions will be marked on the chart, but as a generalization, it’s within 2 miles of the coast.