cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello everyone! We are new owners...

Hillbilly
Guest Contributor

Hello everyone! 

We are new owners of a 1992 370DB with Diesels. Would like to join in with other owners and share 

information. We are on Kerr Lake in NC. We are currently trying to figure out how to purchase or build

a hard top over the Aft area, any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

Why not post an image of the boat and save a kiloword?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Thanks for the image. Nice looking boat.

My suggestion would be to flow the existing upper rub rail area onto the new hard top. That is having the same small fiberglass height above and slightly larger below that rub rail.

Where the new hard top meets the existing structure, make the new hard top edge a horizontal "U" shape, w/ the lower part longer to follow the existing lines.

For appearance and functionality the new hard top should stop inches short of the transom, ending following the existing transom line, or slightly longer for directing rain overboard.

For appearance I would have aft side support panels, w/ the mechanical strength buried inside. The "easy" approach would be to have ~one foot wide vertical panels. It may instead look better to have those support panels angled forward, matching the aft window panel angle. If the new side supports are angled, then the new hard top must be strong enough to support that aft cantilever hard top area.

Don't forget to include large diameter buried wire passage conduits for future updates.

The new hard top needs to have a solid top surface. The appearance would be best with a solid bottom surface, instead of being able to see the mechanical structure.

My assumption is that the new hard top is not for walking upon. If walking is required, then strength for that load must be considered, plus side railing to retain passengers, plus a non slip surface. It is possible that passenger mass at that location would create a very adverse handling effect.

Noticed the boat doesn't have a radar, probably for fixed bridge clearance. This new hard top could be designed to have a handy manually raised / lowered post w/ a radar on top, placing the radar above the heads of people standing up top.

The new hard top could benefit from one large or two smaller (side by side) opening sunroof panels w/ sun shades.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Don't forget to place devices, like lights or speakers, at strategic locations, so that future interior access is gained by removing those devices.

Also include buried pull cables to aid future upgrades.

Hillbilly
Guest Contributor
Thanks , I appreciate the help. You have some very good points. I think I will try to build it. I have some friends that do glass work. I can build the frames from stainless or aluminium.
One is lighter but requires larger sizing to be equal in strength. Thanks for your input!

wingless
Rising Contributor
YW

Additional examination looks like the width of the existing hard top is more narrow than the cockpit.

Following those lines aft for the new hard top will have rain always landing around the cockpit perimeter, not a problem for the existing structure w/ walls and windows.

It may be required to bulge out the new hard top starting where it meets the existing structure so rain drips outside the cockpit.