cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I own a 1988 380 Aft cabin...

Captblackadder
Guest Contributor

Hi, I own a 1988 380 Aft cabin which has, before me, had only one owner since new and she's very original. I have refitted her to cope better with her new mooring location in the north of France (fresh water) mostly insulating the hull, anyway I'm looking for any info on wiring diagrams, I have all the original manuals etc but in wiring diagrams. We had a very odd fault with the port motor pushing out way to many volts and, although an aircraft engineer for 30 years I just cannot get my head around the crossover charging system! It doesn't help that at some point in the 1990's the original charger unit was replaced with an after market one. 

Any help would be gratefully received!  

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

No joy on locating the Owner's Manual. Here is a parts manual and the spec sheet.

https://bbg1.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#E0000000Z21E/a/E00000000Tws/ViUz4NeqHNLJjoaqf5SNNMIfE._XZTIrhPnATA.scS8

https://bbg1.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#E0000000Z21E/a/E00000000US5/mdoaxhTpdFFu53008ivh_gwwS_bBNW1AvjaYm1CoZso

The over voltage from the engine indicates a failed voltage regulator in the alternator. That can frequently be repaired by removal / replacement of the bad part.

Nothing wrong w/ an aftermarket AC/DC battery charger. The original part installed by the factory was an off-the-shelf part and new ones are superior to those available at the time. The important things are correct selection and proper installation. The installation should meet or exceed ABYC.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Wiring diagrams at that time were dealership only documents. Sea Ray started including the wiring diagrams into the Owner's Manual on later model years.

It might be that a local dealership has that document and will permit you to make a copy.

Captblackadder
Guest Contributor
Thanks for reply wingless, I've not looked yet but at present I cannot confirm or deny that the regs are in the alternators or built into the charger crossover, all aircraft of that era I worked on had separate regs, I'm guessing it could be case here, either way when I have a moment I'll go and remove the crossover charger and check outputs from both alternators, hopefully then I will be more informed!

Captblackadder
Guest Contributor
Also thanks for those two links, really appreciate it as I've never seen those before!