cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to select a prop and...

D_LRay
Guest Contributor

I am trying to select a prop and need some help.

I purchased a 1978 Sea Ray 220OV (over nighter cabin) with a Mercruiser 260 5.7L v8 and Alpha 1 stern drive. It has a 15 spline shaft and it is right hand, I think from what I have been able to find out.

Empty weight is 3400 pounds. 60 gallon fuel tank. I estimate the main usage will be cruising and fishing on Lake Granby Colorado at an altitude of 8300. Occasionally we will tow a tube for the grand kids but probably not skiing. Probably 4-5 adults with gear, but not serious fishing gear.

The prop that came on it is in pretty bad shape and I am not even certain it was the correct prop, so I prefer not taking a gamble on replacing it for a new one, same model. It has a 15 spline shaft and it is right hand, I think from what I ave been able to find.The part number on it is 48-79574-19 for reference.

Is that enough info to give some advice?

2 REPLIES 2

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

This site does not have a prop chart for boats older than 2008. (linked)

My suggestion is to start w/ the local prop shop. They should be able to provide appropriate insight.

https://bbg1.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#E0000000Z21E/a/E00000000Ttj/vdBAMkGZDbQQItH_jdMU48VNboZrD6Vk4utGejH4KIo

Steele_y_Tutz
Guest Contributor
I found a list on the Sea Ray archives for my 92 300DA. There was a list for even older as we also have a 1978 19' boat with the mercruiser 470 and pre alpha drive. What is the gear ratio on your upper gear case? If it matches this spare parts crate I have, you can have the prop I have here. I have a complete stern drive form inner transom plate to prop that I can't use. It was for the Chevy inline 6 and 350 v8.