cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I own a 1989 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer,...

Catskill
Guest Contributor

I own a 1989 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer, with a Raritan Icer-Ette ice maker. When I turn on the ice maker, it seems to get cold but I never see any water in it, and it does not make ice. I don't know whether it's not getting water or it has some other problem. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this? I see that West Marine sells a replacement water valve for $45, but don't know if that's the problem. THANKS -- Jon   [email protected]

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
An ice maker is a very simple device.

One part is the freezer. That system maintains the box at a very cold temperature, about 0°F. Measure the box temperature to ensure it is good.

The other part is the ice cube tray system. It has a cycle timer. The timer is a geared-down motor w/ contacts placed along the cycle.

The ice cube tray system has a snap action thermostat measuring the ice cube tray temperature. When the thermostat is "happy", below 32°F, it starts the cycle timer.

The cycle timer first runs the tray dump, then runs the water valve, then waits until the next time the thermostat is happy.

The suspect valve could be tested by application of power to verify opening and flow.

The thermostat can be verified w/ an ohm meter.

The cycle timer can be verified by closing the thermostat contact.

Waterbuffalo
Guest Contributor
When u turn it on do you hear the fresh water pump come on momentarily?

wingless
Rising Contributor
My ice maker does not have a momentary "burp" of water when power is applied.

Yank the friction-fit box-shaped mechanism cover to expose the timing cam gear. With that cover removed all the micro switches are exposed.

The prior reply lists the mechanism timing. The water valve is only powered for a short period during part of the cycle. Mine even has a small screw adjustment to increase / decrease the water on time during a cycle, to fine tune the tray fill level. The water valve does not get momentarily energized during ice maker power cycling. It is only energized when the timing gear is rotating through one full cycle.