cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

96 Sea Ray w/ the Alpha One......

Carey
Guest Contributor

96 Sea Ray w/ the Alpha One... my trim up stopped working.  I can still life with the trailer button.  Any ideas on the cause and a fix? 

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
When a multimeter is used to measure the voltage at the trim motor, when UP is selected is voltage present?

If not, then tracing the circuit from the battery to the switch to the motor will reveal where the voltage stops being passed through the circuit.

Jordan_G_
Guest Contributor
It sounds one or both of your trim senders is bad. The trim senders control the trim on the outdrive. They are independent from the “trailer” button. That is why you can still raise the outdrive.

The trim senders are attached with wires that will fray and wear out over time. They are on the outdrive and shops usually charge 4 hours labor for the repair, but an honest and knowledgeable marine mechanic could change them in 45 minutes. Check out Youtube for MerCruiser trim sender replacement and you will see. This is a fairly common issue on Alpha 1 drives.

Onebigbic
Guest Contributor
Good Morning,

I suffered that same issue and of course that started while on the water.

As mentioned this is a fairly common issue on Alpha 1 drives. The trim limit switch goes bad. A temporary fix would be to trace the wires coming through the gimble, one pair is for the trim position gauge on the dash, the other goes to the trim pump. If you disconnect the two wires at the pump and short the pump side of the connection out you can get the pump to operate SHORT TERM.

This will get you back to shore for correct repair/replacement of the limit switch.

Happy Boating!!