cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, all. Hope someone can help....

Dave45
Guest Contributor

Hello, all. Hope someone can help. I have a 2007 290 Amberjack which we purchased about 1.5 years ago. Head has been working fine until this week. When we turn on the Head system and water pump, on the DC panel, we hear the pump start up and run, but when we flush the head, nothing happens. Some water comes into the head, but we are not getting that vacuum sucking everything down to the holding tank. Could this be a blown fuse or is it probably something worse?

6 REPLIES 6

wingless
Rising Contributor
Start w/ the basics. Is the holding tank empty? Not just by the level indicator lights (that can stick, providing false readings) but actually empty, looking through the translucent tank walls.

Assuming there is room for waste in the holding tank and the vacuum generator pump is running, on the VG2 style or similar, not the VHT style, then there may be an obstruction in the lines, or one / some of the duckbill valves may have failed.

https://www.environmentalmarine.com/vacuum-generator-2-vg2/

https://www.environmentalmarine.com/vacuum-holding-tank-vht/

The fuse is not blown if the pump is running.

The Platypus Club prefers to disassemble holding tank waste lines on failed systems, That is the MOST disgusting task on the planet, but you get a tee shirt for joining that club...

On mine, each time the system failed to suck waste into the tank I was able to restore normal operation using a household plunger. I now always carry one on the boat.

The BIG RISK of using a plunger on Vacuflush is inverting the duckbill Joker valves, so a strong plunger suck should not ever happen.

Each time I fixed a clog I used the plunger for the push stroke, then tipped it to the side to NOT do the duckbill inversion suck stroke.

Remember to first turn off the fresh water pump and depressurize the fresh water to avoid overflowing the toilet bowl.

Now every time I use the head I hold down the flush lever until I can hear the audible change when the drain line has cleared to the holding tank.

When I flush solid waste I first fill the bowl to send a massive slug of water through to the tank.

Dave45
Guest Contributor
We pumped out on Wednesday. I'm assuming the plunger should be used (pushed) while the flush handle is depressed? And not allowed to suck. Is that correct?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Yes, fresh water off and depressurized, Vacuflush turned on, head flush lever held open, plunger push, then tip to side to break seal so it doesn't suck.

Dave45
Guest Contributor
Great! I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks!

Dave45
Guest Contributor
Thanks, Wingless! I got the head to work, but I don't hear the suck sound like I used to. Liquid goes down fine, nut no suck noise.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Great news! Thanks for the update.

It sounds like the plunger worked. That is why mine is always on board.

Everything I do is frequently "over the top", including preventative maintenance on the head.

Depending on usage, either annually or every other year, I disassemble, inspect, clean and reassemble the head components, to ensure ongoing proper operation.

That starts w/ a complete pump out, then I remove the tank level sensor, by unscrewing from the top. This creates a 4" opening. I modified the wiring harness for this level sensor to add a bulk inline connector, so I can unplug and remove the sensor assembly from the boat.

Using a looong / large bottle brush, powdered cleaner and a garden hose I scrub the internal walls of the holding tank, while the macerator is set to continuously discharge.

The level sensors are cleaned at that time.

My VG2 vacuum generator is removed, disassembled, cleaned, inspected and reassembled. So far I have not disassembled the diaphragm.

The duckbill Joker valves are replaced when they start becoming hard (not as supple as new).

If effecting this service, do not over tighten the fittings retaining the duckbill valves. That will cause them to have a continuous slight opening, leaking vacuum, causing excessive cycling. The fittings only need to be lightly snug.

Not sure if this will restore the missing sucking sound, but this has helped my system remain in good shape.