cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought a 2013 SD220, brand new...

LouonBay
Guest Contributor

I bought a 2013 SD220, brand new - 2 year old left over, in February 2015. Almost from the beginning I have had trouble with the depth finder. Sometimes it works for a while then stops working and then might start working again for a short period only to stop again. I keep taking it back to the dealer, they keep diagnosing it and telling me there is nothing wrong with the wiring and keep putting new depth finders in. On on occasion they put the new depth finder in and found it bad out of the box. My last new depth finder was installed the beginning of this season, worked for about 2 trips out on the water and now it is not working again. In addition, about a week ago during the week long heavy rain storms I noticed my running lights were on. I went out to the boat, checked my nav light switch and it was in the off position and the key was turned off. I turned the key on, flipped the nav light switch to the on position, then turned it off again. The nav lights went odd, however about 20 minutes later they came on again and after maybe 20 minutes went off on their own. In total they hyave replaced about 5-6 depth finders and have not really come up with a plan to resolve the problem.

Has anybody had a similar problem or does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Lou L

4 REPLIES 4

SueLynn
Guest Contributor
Try replacing the transducer

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is the Owner's Manual for a Airmar B60, as an example. Follow the Owner's Manual for the transducer used on your boat.

The wiring must be routed away from other electrical and electronic devices that could generate RFI that could affect the performance of the device.

The tilt angle must be appropriate for the hull location.

The mounting location must have no irregularities that will affect water flow. The mounting location must not be near devices that generate RFI.

The transducer must never be operated out-of-water to avoid / prevent overheat damage.

http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-364-01.pdf

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
If you are having rolling power problems. Ie depth finder and now lights comming on by themselves. You would need to look at the point of power supply. So power distribution center or fuse box. Not sure but some of the newer models have an interpreter power supply...more than just a fuse box it has a computer inside to regulate power. The lights comming on should give the dealer a really good clue they are looking in the wroung place

LouonBay
Guest Contributor
I want to thank you guys for your input in trying to solve my depth finder problem. I passed your input to the dealer and am taking my boat into them this Tuesday, 9/4 for them to diagnose & fix the problem. Several other checks they told me wiring is fine, but almost unanimously people are telling me it is a wiring problem. Again, thank you and I will post the outcome to you when it is done

LouOnBay