cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2002 Sea Ray 220 BR with...

Hugo
Guest Contributor

I have a 2002 Sea Ray 220 BR with 5.0 260 hp engine. I'm turning an aluminum 3 blade prop. For water skiing, would like to be able to get out of the water easier (we're all between 62-67) as we're not 18 anymore. Current WOT is 48 mph. I don't need to go that fast, so would a new prop make a noticeable difference out of the hole? I'm staying with aluminum if I do change. I don't have a tower and the ski eye is 2 inches above the swim platform. Having a better angle would help as well, so I've ordered a portable pylon. The pole height is 6' so I'm gaining about 4.5' in height to the existing eye hook. Any suggestions on the prop would help.

Thanks boaters.

Hugo

14 REPLIES 14

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
I had same boat couple years ago. Same desire. Don't remember pitch but went to a 4 blade aluminum. I had to grind a bit of the zink sacrificial fin on foot down, for it to spin free. But hole shot was noticable different ant top speed went up slightly.

sthughes
Guest Contributor
Congrats on still being able to ski. I didn't have much luck getting a better hole shot out of my 2000 210 BR w/5.7 290. I was spinning a 21 pitch 3-blade Stainless Steel. I tried a 19 pitch 4 blade aluminum. Actually went back to the SS, as I lost both hole shot and top speed with the aluminum. I have also read that going to SS even the same pitch will improve over the aluminum as the SS doesn't flex under load. I can attest to that with my experiment. Want to buy my 4 blade? Call your local prop shop, they can offer you some good advise as they get this question more than any other.

Orca
Guest Contributor
We went from a 3 blade stainless steel to a five blade stainless steel with one notch lower pitch and noticed quite a bit more power in the hole shot. Part of the reason for the drastic change is our altitude (over 6K, and bought boat at sea level). I would really like to know what pylon you bought, and if it works well for you and fits the boat.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Thanks everyone for your prop suggestions. I get that I'm losing a bit with aluminum, but I'd rather that than risk a hit to the drive with the more rigid SS. Sounds as if the # of blades makes more of a contribution. I've called 3 different dealers and got 3 different recommendations on an aluminum prop.
Regarding the pylon, I hope to try it this week. No drilling and very simple set up. Check out Insanity Pylons. Mike was extremely helpful. I went with the 6 ft pole which allows me to to open the Bimini with the pylon in place. My only concern is the base of the pylon abuts against something stationary and solid. The bench seat configuration doesn't allow that. Mike claims that with the straps set up correctly I don't need to abut. I made a simple brace so that it will abut and I'll try both.I'll report back on how it works. Fingers crossed.

TRC
Guest Contributor
Let me me what results you get with the pylon, we're a similar group on a 2011 Sundeck 200. The boat practically stands up when coming out of the hole pulling a skier...post pictures if you can.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
TRC, Do you mean you get out of the whole quickly or not?
Hugo

lyleski
Guest Contributor
Been skiing a lot of years, like some of you, with a lot of different boats. My 2002 190 Sundeck gets out of the hole pretty darn good. Of course weighs less than yours. I've found the problem is me (I'm 61). If you are slaloming on an old school slalom, might suggest a wider one. Do not use a tower myself, but have heard it makes a world of difference. Good luck to you!

TRC
Guest Contributor
Hugo, no, it takes a good 15 seconds pulling a skier up onto plane. In my younger years, I had a 19' Mastercraft that would yank you out of the water if you could hang on tight enough. There's no comparison between the true ski boats and a sport boat. I'm still searching for that magic prop that will get me to plane in minimal time pulling a 200 pounder....

Hugo
Guest Contributor
I think there are a number of factors. I have general skis that are wide enough for an elephant to get out of the water and a competition slalom that is just can't pop. I have the pylon so I'm checking that out before changing the prop. My boat dry weight is 3950.
Thanks.

TRC
Guest Contributor
Keep us posted on your results and post some pics of that pylon....good luck

----
Guest Contributor
Skip the pylon, go to a 4 or 5 blade prop. Don't be scared of stainless. Go good used, undamaged. I use a 4 blade daily, and a 5 when the boat is loaded to max or beyond with weight. You lower your top speed but climb out of the hole easily. It's like putting mudder tires on a truck

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Hi,
Got the Insanity Pylon 6'. Incredibly easier to get out of the water for water skiing. Set up is a snap and the straps don't make it a challenge to move around in the boat.
The whole things weighs in at about 15 lbs so its light and easy to take off. The 6' height give me what I need for skiing and allows me to open the Bimini. So far, absolutely worth it. I'm in NJ so I'm really looking forward to next year with a lot more skiing. Mike at Insanity was terrific in helping make the right decision, answering all my questions and they did everything they said they would.

Orca
Guest Contributor
Hugo, thanks so much for the detail on the exact pylon you got, the source, and its performance! Really helpful!

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Second time skiing using the pylon helped an old guy, stage 4 cancer survivor with arthritis get out of the water. Awesome. But I will replace the prop to get a better whole shot to pop on 1 ski.