cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I bought my first twin engine boat...

Wildcater
Guest Contributor

I bought my first twin engine boat this Fall and getting her ready for the summer boating season.  When it was delivered, the tech at MarineMax mentioned that the motors in twin engine boats should be started in a specific sequence, then opposite when turning it off.  Starboard then Port to start, opposite to shut down.  Can anyone confirm this and if so, explain why that is important?

5 REPLIES 5

barryd1307
Guest Contributor
I have never read or been told that a certain starting/stopping sequence is required. I start and stop my twins using a certain sequence only because muscle memory will help you perform the necessary steps every time without forgetting a step that may cause a problem. Perhaps your salesman was encouraging you to develop the muscle memory technique to make you look like a pro with your engine operations.

Buckeye_Bob
Guest Contributor
We just took delivery of our 2018 SLX 310 and the Delivery Captain (who spent a couple hours showing us the roaps of a twin engine stern drive system) told us that the starboard engine (from an electronics standpoint) is always the primary ”communicating device” when the two engines are trying to sync-up. Therefore, you’re always better off firing-up the primary (starboard) engine first and also leaving it to be the last one shut down. Having said that, I’ve also heard from other sources that, while that is all correct, nothing catastrophic is going to happen should you reverse the sequence.

PAVEDFORIT
Guest Contributor
Never heard of that. Doesn’t make sense

TimboSlice
Guest Contributor
rb is correct. The newer model twins should be started starboard then port. Strbd motor does start a series of electronic communication between motors and helm functions. Shut down is opposite, port strbd. One time I had a motor alarm and shut down. Dealer told me to shut everything down to include keys and batteries, wait a minute, then turn everything back on, to include starting strbd first. Issue did not come back.

dstoreysg
Guest Contributor
We just took delivery of our 2018 SLX 310 OB and we were told the same thing - always start the stbd engine first and shut it down last, as it controls the communications and coordination between the two engines, particularly with joystick piloting.