cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2016 19 SPX that I bought...

EricN
Guest Contributor

I have a 2016 19 SPX that I bought new and has been on a trailer up to now. Next month I'm moving into a house on a lake with a dock (the dock is not covered). I'm going to keep the boat in the water full time. Does anyone have ideas / suggestions on preparing the boat for being kept full-time in the water? Should I coat the hull with anything to protect the gel-coat? I have the tonneau covers, I'm thinking about a whole-boat cover. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed! Thanks! - Eric

10 REPLIES 10

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
You'll need to bottom paint the boat if it's going to stay in the water. You may also want to have the bottom barrier coated to prevent blistering down the road. I would also get a full cover and save the canvas that came with the boat. You can get a decent full cover for under $200 that should last you about 5 years. Replacements for the factory canvas is close to $800. Finally, before you launch, wash and wax the boat with a quality marine wax to protect the finish on the gel coat. Just a thought, I finally got a Jet Dock for my boat. It's a drive on/off dock that keeps the boat high and dry at our dock. Not inexpensive but I never need to paint the bottom anymore and I know the boat is safe in any conditions other than very extreme weather.

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
A lake...Therefore fresh water. Cover, wash and wax with paste wax on bottom. Splash it. Keep covered when not in use. Pull every year. Clean and rewax boat paying most attention to bottom. If your not in salt water would have to disagree with needing expensive bottom paint

EricN
Guest Contributor
Thank you Hydratherapy. Your advice resonates exactly the same as that of other fresh-water boating folks I'm talking to here in Orlando.

nanners
Guest Contributor
No one here in Midwest bottom paints boats for inland lakes or lake michigan. Good wax. Good clean. Keeps it looking solid

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
You guys are lucky.

nanners
Guest Contributor
We have lots of different types of water up here - a lot can be brackish - no problem with the gel. I'm sure if you are freshwater, you will be fine without the bottom paint. YOU ARE LUCKIER - YOU HAVE A MUCH LOOOOOOOOOOONGER SEASON!!!! We are jealous.

Eggs
Guest Contributor
You spend $20K on a boat and are too cheap to buy a boat lift ? I don't know anyone with a covered dock - but I don't know any boaters who don't have a boat lift.

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
Eggs, calling someone "cheap" because they don't have a boatlift is pretty presumptuous. They might not own the dock, they may be in a community marina or there may not be any accessible power at their dock. Give the guy a break.

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
A lake in Orlando. Subterranean rock pretty sure limestone. Nice Sweetwater. Boat happiest floating. And wave to the boat lift repair men working on the motors that fail yearly on boat lifts . While your happy 19 purrs by....lol

Hugo
Guest Contributor
If the lake is fresh water, you shouldn't need bottom paint, but be prepared to have the hull/bottom cleaned regularly. I keep a boat on a lake in NJ for the summer and the lake grunge is nasty. Even the cleanest lakes will discolor the bottom. Before it goes in I wax and polish the bottom/hull. A boat cover that will protect topside and gunwhales is ideal to minimize gel coat fading. Suggest that the cover has bow and cockpit vents.
Enjoy.