cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hope someone will guide me on...

Hugo
Guest Contributor

I hope someone will guide me on the pitch for a propeller. I have a 2002 220 BR with a 5.0 260hp Mercruiser, Alpha 1 drive. WOT is about 48 mph at 5200 rpm. I'd like to get a better shot out of the hole and willing to give up a few mph at the high end.

I'm going with a 4 blade aluminum. The original 3 blade prop was 14" diameter with 19 pitch. Options on the new prop pitch are 16,18, 20 on a Mercury Alpha 4, which from that mfg is the recommended prop. What is the best pitch?

Thanks everyone.

Hugo

3 REPLIES 3

SueLynn
Guest Contributor
I would recommend the 16 degree vs the 18 or 20. That would guarantee a quicker hole shot. However it will drop your high end speed. Also make sure that your rpm at wot does not go beyond specs. You may want to consider a stainless steel prop as the aluminum props do flex a bit.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
Thanks. I'm concerned about the RPMs and16 might push the RPMs. Stainless is not an option but appreciate your feedback.

Tom_M_424
Guest Contributor
You don’t mention what you are running now but, at 5200 you are over reving your engine. A 4 blade 18 pitch would likely put you in the right RPM range at about 46 to 4800 and would give you quicker planning. You would also probably pick up some fuel economy but, likely loose about 4-5 MPH though.