cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 2016 220 sundeck, and...

fercamp
Guest Contributor

I have a 2016 220 sundeck, and left it at the marina for a couple of month for the summer. Results is a ton of algae and stains on the hull. I got Star Brite EZ-on EZ-off but wanted to check here to make sure I won't damage the gel coat or anything along those lines. Also the product says I need to cover the trailer because it could cause damage to metal. Any suggestions will be most welcome, I'm pretty new on this since is my first boat. Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7

AncientGeek
Guest Contributor
My boats are in a very clean NH lake all summer. I get some accumulation in the bottoms, but not terrible. I use the Starbright Instant Hull Cleaner and have been very happy with that. I apply it using a 1 gallon pressure bottle I bought from Northern Tool & Eq. and I wash it off with a telescoping long handle brush. This is super fast and easy for me. Best done soon after you take it out of the water, but it seems to work after the grime is dried on also.

Mikeeh
Guest Contributor
E's on-off is fine to use on fiberglass and gelcoat but will remove was as well. It will stain aluminum, not sure about galvanized steel.

Bozy
Guest Contributor
For the past two years, I have used The Works toilet bowl cleaner. I can't attest to algae but I can say this stuff is amazing. Even cleans the outdrive white scum off like a piece of cake! You can find it at one of your local dollar stores. I use a sponge to apply/rub (with rubber gloves) and immediately flush it off with a hose. NO PROBLEMS and a beautiful showroom like finish boat.

Hugo
Guest Contributor
There are a number of products that work, so you have lots of product options - including non-marine products. There is also a great product for general hull cleaning called Slimy Grimy. Awesome results with little effort.The marine products will absolutely stain and possible hurt a galvanized trailer. After you clean the bottom, then wax and polish to maintain the gelcoat. I make this part of my winterization steps. God luck and have fun.

lyleski
Guest Contributor
I leave my 190 Sundeck in the Sacramento River for three months every summer and it ends up coated in algae. Sounds just like yours. This year I used a product called Oxidation Remover by Bio-Kleen. Took the algae right off. I then used an orbital buffer and waxed it. Looks great!

fercamp
Guest Contributor
Thanks everyone. Appreciate your feedback!

Tom_M_424
Guest Contributor
Mary Kate’s On/Off. Takes it off with no effort but, wear gloves, respirator, and cover the trailer. It’s a leathal acid!