cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently purchased a Sea Ray...

M300
Guest Contributor

I recently purchased a Sea Ray SPX 21OB.  Has anyone bought and used a Transom Saver bar to stabilize the engine for long transports or is it simply a waster of money?  I traveled 3 hours to a Lake and the motor would turn and lean to one side or the other, and I was also told that overtime it could stress the transom without support.  If yes, what type of bar did you buy because some look harder than others to install where some require you to drill and install a bolt for example. thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1

NJC
Guest Contributor
If the stock tilt lock isn't broken, the motor is supported properly while trailering long distances which will protect the tilting hydraulics. If the steering hydraulics are in good shape (greased, good oil and cylinder seals, etc.) and the motor easily rotates while trailering, you could simply lock the steering wheel (bungee cord, rope, etc.) first if you would like to avoid installing a transom saver. I haven't found the need to install one myself, even on my old outboards that rotated while Locked in the tilted trailer position. (Just my experience).