cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2017 SPX 210 Mercury 150OB (70...

M300
Guest Contributor

My 2017 SPX 210 Mercury 150OB (70 hours) began squirting water out of the plug where a hose can be connected for flushing.  No water goes inside the engine housing. I thought the cap that plugs the hose connection then screws into the cowl was cracked. After a closer look I realized the cap has two small pin holes in it.  That is where the water is shooting out.  I assume something got sucked in the engine and is clogging the water line.  Water is coming out the pee hole area as normal, no problem there.  I took the boat out of the water, flushed the engine again, put it back in the water, and still have the same problem - water still shooting out of the cap/plug where a hose connects for flushing.  Does anyone know how I can unclog and fix please?  thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7

Good_Vibes
Guest Contributor
I had that issue once. Apparently it's with the duck bill getting clogged. You most likely sucked up some sand or mud. Not a big deal. My mechanic told me that if you want to use your boat before it's fixed, put a quarter in between the male and female freshwater attachment. That will stop it while not hurting the engine. I fixed mine by lifting it out of the water, on a boat lift, hooking up the fresh water flush, starting the engine and then letting it run for 30 seconds. Then I lowered it into the water while flushing and starting it again - now it's got the flush and the draw from the water - it unclogged and hasn't clogged since. These duck bills are under warranty though. Good luck!

M300
Guest Contributor
interesting way to unclog it. I would not have thought of that. thanks. might try.

Good_Vibes
Guest Contributor
Let me know if that works for you.

Tgarris
Guest Contributor
Common problem w/merc , covered under warranty, had the valve replaced 3 times in my last boat

we_love_baybay
Guest Contributor
Thank you for all the comments - this is really good to know! I have a 2017 210 SPX Merc 150 (55 hours) - so far no problems but I will definitely be on the lookout with this knowledge!

M300
Guest Contributor
I took it to the dealer, it was a faulty valve. Just like Tgarris said. Water going both ways instead of one way. They replaced under the warranty.

Tgarris
Guest Contributor
M300 glad you are squared away!