cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Owners,  I have a new 2017 Sea...

we_love_baybay
Guest Contributor

Hi Owners,  I have a new 2017 Sea Ray 210SPX  with a Mercury 150 OB.  It says in the manual to do the following: 

After EACH USE:

• Flush out the cooling system if operating in salt, polluted or muddy water
  • Wash off all salt deposits and flush the exhaust outlet of the propeller and gear case with fresh water
  • Inspect power head, and powerhead components for salt buildup

Is this information correct and should it be done each after use?  Any advice?

8 REPLIES 8

wingless
Rising Contributor
Why would there be impetus to do anything different?

Yes, at a minimum, flush the outboard w/ fresh water after every usage.

On my custom-designed inboard flushing system, I then flush w. soapy water, followed by flushing w/ Salt Away. I would recommend usage of Salt Away or an equivalent after salt water usage, in addition to the recommended fresh water flushing. On mine, I then drain the raw-water-cooled exhaust bone dry until the next operation.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Here is an OEM Mercury Marine flushing video.

FWIW, it looks easy to me and no extra parts or tools purchase is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjPrlPbuVnI

we_love_baybay
Guest Contributor
Thanks! very helpful.

TimboSlice
Guest Contributor
Flush with fresh water EVERY time - you will be glad you did -next year and the year after....

IRBKEV
Guest Contributor
I have the exact same boat. Easy to flush. I also use Salt Away every time to flush it out even more.

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
Great boat! Welcome. Salt away Everytime. No need for any alterations on cooling or flushing system on that engine. But Everytime you hose down. Remember to remove drain plug in hull. Spray down entire boat allowing to drain from hull through drain hole in rear. Let dry and then cover. Every couple uses good quality seat spray. Don't use armor all. And remember once your done and you put motor in trailer position, to fresh water spray again. More areas exposed when lifted up. Happy boating

Indytrailmike
Guest Contributor
Yup, Salt away every time. Buy the gallon size

we_love_baybay
Guest Contributor
Thank you all again for your help _ I really appreciate it! Any other pointers or tips for daily boat care aside from flushing engine and boat wash, let me know!