cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searay 185 Sports 2004 in Aus -...

Smils
Guest Contributor

Searay 185 Sports 2004 in Aus - 2nd battery

Hi fellow Searay Owners – I appreciate reading your various postings - great to have this forum. Has anyone got some advice/thoughts on mounting a 2nd battery?  Dilema is because although there is room (just) for a 2nd battery in front of the existing on the port side (which would facilitate the wiring including fitting the battery switch) – if I mount it in front of the hyd pump for leg, on the starboard side, wiring length increased but POSSIBLY BETTER BOAT BALANCE – also concerned if safe to have the battery around the hydraulic fluid?

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts/advice as not many owners down here in South Australia.  

Love this boat – had it about 1.5 years and not used enough – had about 108 hours and now has about 115 hrs.  Only issue really was I found it was taking on water after purchasing – from the transducer thru-hull mounting.  I believe it likely always did to some extent as old sealant was sparse and the inside and external hull surfaces were not parallel which would have resulted in uneven pressure.  I removed the transducer, which is painful with motor still in! and levelled the inside of hull as best I could.  I sealed the edge of the hole with gelcoat (pleased to see no delamination had occurred) and then applied the Sikaflex 291 liberally around the transducer and hole when refitting.  Seems to have done the trick so far.

I have one other Q whilst looking for advice – can always smell what I believe are fuel fumes when I take the boat cover off.  No obvious fuel leaks and I have removed floor panel to inspect tank which seems ok – and checked the hose clamps.  Your thoughts will be appreciated.

….And, I installed a 6mm blue LED, in the panel adjacent to key, to remind me when the blower is running as I don’t always hear it when windy and not wishing to run the battery down – tho’ less of an issue with a 2nd battery.  I believe it fits in quite neatly.

Cheers to you mob, hope the corona virus is not keeping you off the water which is probably the healthiest place to be,

Greg (smils)

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
Always glad to help, but you should return the favor w/ some Coriolis Effect tests...

Yes, an additional battery, especially when only one exists, is a very good idea. The better solution would be for two banks, so that redundancy will permit starting the boat when one bank goes flat.

If going the two bank route there are automated or manual switches to route power.

What is the preference?

The battery has mass, but the extra ~ 100 lbs probably will be insignificant for balance.

The most common solution is batteries all in one area.

Note that ABYC has great information on boat systems, including batteries. I always follow ABYC when upgrading my boat.

Post image(s) if specific questions exist.

There should not be a fuel smell in the engine compartment. The human nose is the best fuel detector. Locate the source of fuel odor and correct.

Smils
Guest Contributor
Hi Wingless,
Great to receive your response and appreciate your comments. I am looking to now add the 2nd battery in front of the existing, per your advice, and utilize a multiple choice switch (already purchased).
Been around with the sniff test for fuel but it seems a general smell rather than making it easy to pinpoint. Have gone over all the clamps and decided to leave cover off and see if that makes it easier to pinpoint.
Re Coriolis – I believe it is zero effect at equator – about equal to my knowledge of it….
Seeing as I seem to have hit the jackpot re getting decent answers – if you have any experience with Salt Away or similar product would you care to comment on it as an effective way to minimise corrosion/corrosion products in an IB/OB (Mercruiser 4.3L).
Thankyou again,
smils

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

wingless
Rising Contributor
YW

My inboard vee drive engines were designed to have the raw water cooled exhaust retain salt water in the bottom half of the manifolds 24/7/365.

That design decision resulted in my uber expensive exhaust parts having a service life of 3-5 years, before requiring that I discard and replace those parts.

Being totally disgusted with that cycle, at the last replacement, about 4 years ago, I redesigned the exhaust system, from impossible to drain and impossible to flush, to now I drain the exhaust when returning to the dock, then flush w/ fresh water, followed by soapy water, followed by Salt Away. I then drain the exhaust bone dry, ready for the next usage.

My last disassembly for inspection was at three years of service usage. In the past I would be attempting to justify continued usage, based on an up close inspection of deterioration and of corrosion. At three years the interior salt water raw water passages still looked brand spanking new.

It looks to me that I have slain this dragon and now expect to have exhaust components that will last the life of the boat.

Smils
Guest Contributor
Fabulous info wingless – thankyou!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10