cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We purchased our 2016 SPX 19 with...

Blazer
Guest Contributor

We purchased our 2016 SPX 19 with MerCruiser 4.3MPI in July of 2016.  Though this is technically our "third" season (second full season) with the boat I still feel new to things. Starting at the end of last season on it's last day out, it starts and runs fine but when slowing down from plane it stalls out.  It starts up again and runs but with occasional alarm beeping but doesn't stall unless I'm slowing down from speed. Unfortunately I have not determined any specific pattern to the alarm, mostly due to me doing listening more to the engine like I would in my truck, a bad habit I need to break apparently.  Gauges all read good and fluid levels appear to be good as well, I've been checking them regularly.  It also didn't have an issue the one day we took it out and just cruised around at low speed.  I know that I'll probably have to have a shop look at it but with working on my own vehicles for so long I thought I'd at least ask, maybe there is something else to check that I'm missing.

9 REPLIES 9

Captain_Zero
Guest Contributor
Not much you will be able to check without diagnostic computer. .

Chase
Guest Contributor
That is annoying, but it’s still under warranty so let the dealer troubleshoot it.

Cheese
Guest Contributor
Had alarm beeping go off once when at low speed but did not stall. Found drive lube low. Sound went away after adding lube. Haven’t spotted any leaks.

Capt__Crosby
Guest Contributor
Low Drive lube will certainly send out an alarm but should not make the engine stall. This sounds more like a fuel system issue.

Blazer
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the replies, I got it scheduled to have it scanned. I was leaning toward fuel system as well but we'll see.

EricN
Guest Contributor
I have the same boat with the same engine. I've had several issues since I bought the boat where the engine alarm will sound, the 'service soon' light will illuminate, and the engine will either stall or in some cases it will go into a safe-mode where you can't advance the throttle past a certain RPM. These all seem to be built-in protections when there is an engine anomaly sensed by the computer. In some cases, it was a bad thermostat and the engine wasn't cooling properly. The fix has always been the same: have the dealer connect the diagnostic computer, check the codes, then address the issue and clear the codes. While some of the engine light issues have been nothing more than a nuisance (especially since they put the engine in safe mode), overall it's better to have this protection than not to, I think.

Ceeg
Guest Contributor
Sounds like your Idle Air Control Valve

d_melton
Guest Contributor
I have a 2017 190 spx. I lost my engine to non winterizing. I know, I would like to shoot myself. Anyway I put a brand new 4.3l 220 mpi in it. I’ve had the same problem with the stalling out going from plane to idle. Docking, etc etc. Anyway my guy has worked on it and he said it’s an interupter issue. Also it has to do with the throttle and going past idle. It always cranks back up. I too had to add stern gear lube, it was beeping

Blazer
Guest Contributor
Been meaning to get back here and update, life just thought I'd be happier if I was really busy. Thanks again for all the replies, it's amazing how so many different things could cause this similar issue. One of the issues I came across while online was the shift cables could need adjusted, which of course I figured it couldn't be that easy of a solution.... and it turned out that it was that easy of a solution. They came out, adjusted the cables, and so far so good.