cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2016 SPX 19 stranded me last...

EricN
Guest Contributor

My 2016 SPX 19 stranded me last weekend - and so did Searay. The boat has had far too many 'design / engineering defects' so far. The latest one... Out in our local medium sized lake (Lake Maitland in the Orlando area) for a day of tubing and swimming. Engine running fine all afternoon.  Started/stopped the engine many times for swimming, etc.  Late afternoon, nearing the end of our day on the water, went to start the engine, it cranked, sort-of started - ran rough and seemed never to come up to a smooth idle, then died and we got the generic Service Engine Soon light. Tried to start a few more times - it would crank but not start. We were left stranded, and luckily another boater towed us back to the ramp. Engine is the factory 4.3 MPI 220HP stern-drive Mercury. Took to the local Searay dealer who hooked up diagnostic computer and consulted with Mercury Marine. The dealer told me that the engine wouldn't duplicate the problem for them and was running fine. They also told me that Mercury said there is a known design problem with the fuel cooling system which uses external water to cool the fuel, and on extremely hot days (which it was not) and when the water you are in is at extremely high temperature (which it was not) that the fuel can overheat causing vapor lock, preventing the engine from starting. The factory recommendation was to give me back the boat as-is, and - yes - they said that WHEN THIS HAPPENS AGAIN they recommend installing a supplemental fuel pump that they say is "guaranteed" to stop this design flaw from happening in the future.  So yes - the factory wants me to get stranded in my boat again before they fix their design flaw. It all seems to be a very weak response. I'm not terribly impressed with my Searay ownership experience so far. The boat came from the factory in Mexico with a host of manufacturing defects, there seems to have been zero quality-control checks before it left the factory, and the manufacturer has been really absent with regard to after-delivery support. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences? Are my expectations too high? I work in the field of private jets and I can say in that arena, the manufacturers will bend over backwards with after-delivery support. I've felt that Searay really couldn't care less.

7 REPLIES 7

joefirm
Guest Contributor
I bought a 2017 SPX with a 4.5 200HP and with 15 hours on it so far no problems. Its been hot and our lake is pretty warm (mid 80's) and no issues.

Black_Op
Guest Contributor
I have a 2016 19SPX, but have the 4.5 200HP engine. No problems with my engine -- so this might be limited to the 4.3 engine. Blazer posted on 19 June 2018 a similar problem below with his 4.3 engine. I understand the 2016 SPX models were the first production models at the Mexico Plant -- and yes -- I did have an issue (incorrect wiring of the bilge pump) but my SeaRay dealer corrected it ( even to the extent of sending a technician over a 90 minute drive to where my boat was docked). If SeaRay/Mercury believes the supplemental fuel pump will fix the problem -- then I would insist that they fix it.

EricN
Guest Contributor
Update: I spoke with the local Marinemax, my dealer. At first they said that Mercury Marine had required that this engine failure happen again before they would install a fuel boost pump. After I requested that they press the issue with Mercury, I was told that Mercury approved the installation of the pump under warranty. The pump was installed in the fuel line just after fuel comes out of the tank. I have yet to put the boat back in the water and try it. I'll post once I've had a chance to run it again. Thanks!

SueLynn
Guest Contributor
I have owned several Searays over the years but since the Searay brand was purchased by the Brunswick Coporation I believe the quality and the quality control ha deteriated. I am now considering buying a Cobalt.

EricN
Guest Contributor
Quality on my factory-new boat was not good, and QC at the factory seems to have been nonexistent. My boat left the factory and was delivered to me in an unsafe condition with numerous obvious defects and several safety issues. The dealer did correct everything as I discovered each problem.

Vanz
Guest Contributor
I own the same boat and purchased from Marinemax in Orlando. We primarily take it on the Butler chain and Mt Dora chain. I have had a few problems but a few were my own doing. I haven't had the issue you are speaking of. I certainly hope this isn't a common problem.

jvsrunner
Guest Contributor
I experience the "vapor lock" issue on my 2006 225 Weekender. Fortunately, It does start up after a short while but it scares me none the less.