cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have experience flushing...

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor

Does anyone have experience flushing their QSB5.9's with Barnacle Buster and Sea Flush??

4 REPLIES 4

Kmas100
Guest Contributor
Not with a Cummins but with my Cat 3208's. It's a lot easier than you think and in my opinion certainly worth while.. So much so, I intend to make this a yearly procedure. First remove the seawater input pipe to the raw water pump. Next remove the Impellar in the sea water, pump and close the pump back up. Next remove the sea-water out pipe that connects to the exhaust outlet. Get a big tub ( I used a plastic dustbin) and connect two pipes to the ports.. One to the seawater inlet pump , the other to the sea water outlet pipe... These two pipes go to the tub. The pipe that runs to the sea water pump (from the tub) .. You need to install some form of pump in-line. Next fill the tub with the BB concentrate and the correct amount of water and turn on the pump. In essence, the pump draws the concentrate from the tub, pushes it through the engine and the output goes back into the tub. Let this cycle for a couple of house and everything with be as brand new!. Refit everything back and it's a good time now to install a new Impellar. The product works fantastic. Highly recommend it!

Peteatthebeach
Guest Contributor
Use at least a 10 gal tub. I use a 500 gal pump, extended the pump cables toget to the batteries andadd aligator clips, some pec 3/4 tubing and 90degree fittings and about 20 ft of 1” clear tubing. Make some fittings that you can connect to the raw water hoses. I dont take the impeller out. I remove the top hose off of the raw water pump add the fitting you made for that size hose. Don't forget to pinch the line that goes to dripless seal on your drive shaft or you'll pump the BB overboard. Fill the tube with fresh water first to check for leaks.

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
This seems like it would be much easier?? As ling as you have sufficient water available??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8vt90jXMbU

Scott18
Guest Contributor
While BB may help clean out your raw water system, this is in no way a substitute for not removing, cleaning and lubing your aftercoolers the way Tony at SBMAR recommends. Cummins has a known issue with the aftercooler design, it really should be pulled apart and inspected every 2-3 years. I think they now even include it in the official recommended maintenance.

https://www.sbmar.com/category/articles/marine-aftercoolers/