cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I took delivery of a 2018 460 on...

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor

I took delivery of a 2018 460 on Feb 1st 2018. While I generally love the boat, I have experienced more than a few problems. So far SeaRay has replaced the depth sounder transducer, the radar, both Axiom screens and the insane sound system that only worked on AC power and was controlled by a Samsung tablet. About three weeks ago the transmission on the port side failed to engage (turned out to be a loose connection). This week the port duel pulley assembly failed and I am again unable to use the boat. I don't know what the thinking was when they designed the cockpit, but I find the table layout and slider to be useless. The slider moves back on its own while underway and causes the alarm to sound and the position of the table makes it impossible to get into the starboard seat lockers without removing the table. It takes two people to remove the table because you can't pull out the release button and lift the table without three hands. Who designs this stuff? If the table top would swivel, it would not be as bad, but for some reason they decided to make it fixed. This also creates a problem for stowing the table with the leg permanently attached to it. At this point I am resolved to replace the side mount table support with a floor mount that will allow the table top to swivel, or to be lifted off for storage. Anyone else done this? I must say that MarineMax has been extremely cooperative in getting these issues resolved in a timely manner, but I think the folks at SeaRay need to rethink their design process so that they work out these issues prior to delivering the yachts! What should have been 2 months of boating enjoyment , has instead been a period of one frustration after another.

10 REPLIES 10

wingless
Rising Contributor
Enjoy your boat, it sounds nice.

The "easy" way to avoid those problems is to purchase a one or two year old boat, so somebody else gets to enjoy that fun.

My boat is older and I have upgraded / customized to my usage, while maintaining / exceeding OEM quality. I enjoy the DIY, especially as-compared to dealership service departments. Yes, the Marine Max teams are great.

IMO a new boat is very complex and I'm not surprised to hear about infant mortality / integration failures.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
I recently purchased a SR built in 09. At the surveyors recommendation I removed the both hatches and found that they were not caulked correctly. This surveyor seemed to have a lot of experience with this issue on SR boats. Something to think about if you end up with a leak anywhere. Over time the water can get into the structure of the boat which is a real problem. He also recommended that I remove every screw that is screwed into the deck and recaulk them as well.

CPIGUY
Guest Contributor
Neil, I’ve love my boat as well, but also have had more problems than expected. What interesting, is my boat was at the dealer for 8 months, so you would have thought most of this stuff would have been rectified. After repairing about 20 items, I still have a long list left to go.

I totally agree with you on the cockpit table. But my single biggest bitch is the sinks in both heads. You can’t get your face over them to wash your face or brush your teeth. Drives me absolutely crazy. They also needed a way to find more storage on a boat of this size. Good news is you can modify the cockpit table, can’t do anything about the sinks.

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
My list of items is as of yesterday down to zero. I fully agree with you about the bathroom sinks, very bad design. They could have put the master sink in the triangular space by the toilet. Would have been a much better location. I finally got the surface mounting plate for the cockpit table off the post yesterday. It took a very large hammer and I ended up with a bent mounting plate, but that is OK because I am replacing it with a swivel mount which is due to arrive from amazon today. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WIRI74 Also I was able to find a sleeve to convert the 2 3/8 ID to fit the 2 1/4 OD tube. Don't know what to do about the sink, if you come up with a solution let me know. Maybe a portable bowl that could be fille3d in the kitchen sink and placed on the triangle section of the bathroom counter is the only solution?

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
CPIGUY Try opening the mirror cupboard above the sink. It gives you quite a bit more head room!

CPIGUY
Guest Contributor
Would like to understand a bit more about the table. So you plan on bolting the table to the swivel mount if I understand you correctly. I haven't checked, but your saying our tube that the table is mounted to is 2 1/4" hence we need a sleeve to make the swivel work? Where did you get the sleeve and how will it attach? Your table folded in half, correct?

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
Correct the tube is 2 1/4, the only swivel I could find was 2 3/8 (from Amazon) I got the sleeve/bushing from Marine Trading post SPR 2171000. The swivel just arrived, so I am about to assemble. I have the teak table that folds in two. I removed the screws holding the OEM mounting plate and with screw the new swivel mount to the same piece. Different hole patten.

CPIGUY
Guest Contributor
Like to see a pictures when your done, please.

lady_Patricia
Guest Contributor
This is it, I will not be reattaching table top until I get back in the fall. The sleeve did not work as well as I expected, so I will be sourcing some 1/16 material to make my own spacer/sleeve.

CPIGUY
Guest Contributor
Ok, thanks Neil. Let me know when your're all done.