cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help.. 02 510 SD.. replacing all...

Flynlyon
Guest Contributor

Help.. 02 510 SD.. replacing all lights with led.. no problems until... master stateroom closets.. no power to the lights.  Festoon 24 volt halogen.  Manual shows all lighting 24 volts dropped to 12 volts through converter.  Found cockpit courtesy lights same, 24 volts Festoon.  Power to these so no problem replacing with led.

Closet lights have no power when doors through open/close switch.  Bad switch?? Both doors?? Or converter.   S/R no help.  Any thoughts on why these are only 24 volt light.. and no mention of this is manual.. stumped!!

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
A voltage meter is required to locate the problem.

The "easy" way to ID a bad door switch is to measure the DC voltage across the switch. Door closed should have full voltage (12V/24V), door open should be around 0V across the terminals.

Other tests, like does the door switch have power requires one lead (black negative lead) to be connected to a battery negative terminal, while the other lead (red positive lead) measures the DC voltage on each lead of the switch.

Given there is a problem, then the diagnosis needs to extend past normal stuff, like seeking failed connections / wiring. It may also be that the wiring diagram is helpful, but not 100% accurate. On mine, I have marked up parts where I discovered differences between the document and the actual boat wiring.

One of the things that doesn't thrill me on my 2000 380DA is that Sea Ray would jam two wires into a connector crimp barrel to permit daisy chaining lighting. That method provides functionality w/o conforming to any standards. It is possible for a conductor(s) to slip out of the connector barrel when using this method.

It my be required to remove / inspect the wiring for various fixtures and switches to locate the fault.

Inferring from the OP that more than one 24V to 12V converters exist. If so, the DC voltage in and DC voltage out for each converter should be measured.

Flynlyon
Guest Contributor
Thanks.. found the culprit.. wires bunched together... have them all working.
Any thoughts on why just closet and cockpit courtesy lights are 24v??
Thanks Paul

Flynlyon
Guest Contributor
My 02 510 anchor/mast light glass or plastic covers are so bad can barley see the light on at night...
Question, can you buy just the replacement covers or need entire mast light...

wingless
Rising Contributor
My speculation is the light is this Perko light and the link shows the P/N for the replacement Fresnel lens.

https://www.perko.com/catalog/navigation_lights_under_20_meters/131/fixed_mount_combination_masthead___white_all-round_light/