cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hiim looking to buy a 2012 or newer...

kelsea
Guest Contributor

hi

im looking to buy a 2012 or newer 450 sundancer, anyone know of any good or bad things about these boats?

anyone have one for sale?

thanks

bob

781 820 5217

12 REPLIES 12

SMT
Guest Contributor
I have older one a D450 (1997) I have been lucky not to have any problems in three years. Main consideration when buying is the engines and bloats glass. Be sure to have both the boat and engines surveyed before buying and and may sure your surveyor is the best. This is not a place to pick the cheapest. I had both boat and engine surveyors when I purchased my boat, three years later I have had no boat and engine problems except for what was discovered in the survey. I would stay away from pods and engines with sensors. Salt water likes to corrode the more sensors the more corrosion.Pods are nice but require service and special oil and it you knock one off $$$.

kelsea
Guest Contributor
thanks,SMT

LLC
Guest Contributor
We purchased our 2010 450 new in 2011 and now have about 325 hours on her. We have been all over most of the great lakes and love it. We routinely receives compliments from passers by about the styling. The layout of the cockpit and cabin is perfect for my wife and I. The cummins package is great and I love the pods and joy stick.

kelsea
Guest Contributor
Hi
thanks for the feed back. Im looking at a 2012 with 335 hours on it. is there any maintenance that should be performed at or around these hours? also, it has the 380 Cummings ( 364 HP )
is this ample HP ?
thanks again
bob

LLC
Guest Contributor
I have the 380s ad we'll. Plenty of power during take off and cruising. I cruise at 28-30 mph (2700 rpm which the recommended 90% of WOT) and get just under 1 mpg.

I would check the maintenance records. Based on my annual usage, I change the engine oil and filter annually - very easy to do yourself. Also, on an annual basis, I have the dealer change the lower gear lube. Upper trans fluid is changed about every other year and steering/hydraulic Fluid changed when notification presented on Vesselview. As part of the annual service dealer pulls the props to lube the spines and checks the torque on the drive shaft, etc. Depending on your usage and where you buy hub our fuel, spin on fuel filters and racors should be changed every year or so. Also, impeller should be changed every other year. Note I am in fresh water.

kelsea
Guest Contributor
thanks again LLC, appreciate your feed back !!

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Maintenance on CUMMINS diesels varies based on whether you are in salt or fresh water. A key to remember is "marine age" which has nothing to do with hours on engines. Highly recommend you become a member of the foremost CUMMINS forum at sbmar.com

Captdkw
Guest Contributor
We had a 2010 450 with Cummins/Zeus. We loved the boat. Handling and fuel economy were great. The down side was the maintenance and cost of maintenance of the Zeus drives. We had a trim cylinder leak and needed replacement at $4000+ each side. Needed a reseal on one drive $$$. In the end between hauling and yard bill we spent $15k to reseal one and replace 2 trim clyinders.

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
The 2009 - 2011 Dancers with Zeus drives indeed had problems and several tech bulletins were issued fixing issues. If you are looking at an early Zeus drive SR be sure to have COMPLETE maintenance records and have ONLY A FACTORY CERTIFIED Cummins company do the engine surveys. East Coast DeMann Cummins in Wilmington NC; West Coast Seaboard Marine, CA

danrob2000
Guest Contributor
Kelsea...I have a 2017 400....just bought it earlier this summer, 2017, but have a family issue and need to change directions. I am in Jupiter if you want to look at.....100 hours, 50 of which were put on it by the dealer, not a blimish or ding anywhere.....loaded.....at Jupiter Yacht Club if you want to take a look....you can call me at 214-418-1705. Not listed with Broker yet, so will give you that % savings in price. Good luck....

kelsea
Guest Contributor
hi
probably a little rich for me, how much do you want ?
thanks
bob

danrob2000
Guest Contributor
Hi Bob......could probably do $575K without a broker, $550K if you don't have one either.....