cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1999 400DA and have recently...

Carried_Aweigh
Guest Contributor

I have a 1999 400DA and have recently found a problem with water in the center bilge in the back bedroom/salon.  Tore out all of the carpet And the table stand and found all of the foam insulation is soaked under the floor.  We tracked the problem down to a condensate line from the main salon air conditioning system.  Has anyone else had this problem and how was it fixed.  I know it has been going on way before I bought the boat last year due to stains on the carpet.   I thought it may have been neglected but now I know if I run the air conditioner to long, I will soak the floor again and ruin anything new I put down there.   The water comes up from the table stand hole.   Thanks in advance for any assistance

12 REPLIES 12

Mikentucky
Guest Contributor
Have you cleaned/checked your "grey water" shower sump box? I believe on your boat that the A/C condensate drain lines run into it, where an internal filter and pump setup then keeps it pumped overboard. If the filter doesn't get cleaned regularly, it can clog and/or the pump fails, which causes water to back up and overflow at the lowest point--in your case, the condensate pan.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Good to finally hear that I am not the only one cleaning the grey water shower sump.

This is periodically disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. I also clean / inspect the check valve at that time.

Yes, the water might be backing up. It might also be that the A/C condensation pan has corroded and is now leaking.

An inspection should reveal the problem source.

RMS
Guest Contributor
On my 510 I had same issue however it was the discharge pipe that was blocked causing the pump to burn out

JBA
Guest Contributor
Same on my 2000 41 Dancer. Condensate drain line was plugged. Clean or replace the line.

SeaRayChris
Guest Contributor
I have the same issue on a 98 400 Sundance and have previously looked at the condensate drain pan and hose, and cannot see any leaks. If it did leak in that area, it should run into the center bilge where there is a bilge pump, and not go into the aft cabin floor. I have not been able to locate the cause yet, and as a last resort, I was going to remove the foam and install a small bilge pump but would rather find the cause of the leak.

There is a separate issue with the L shaped water tanks under the Aft cabin seats. They can get a stress crack on the top inside corner and over time can leak into the floor of the cabin.

Carried_Aweigh
Guest Contributor
Chris I had one of my mechanics do a pressure test on my fresh water tank and had no drop off of pressure during a 12 hour period. I also had them fish all fresh water lines with an electrical fish tape and found no blockages. I am certainly in your corner to find out what the hell is leaking. I am entertaining putting in a vinyl planking flooring so if the water level does rise up again, I won’t ruin the flooring. However I am going to replace from the floor to the bottom of the seats with carpet again. One of my mechanics said it could cost me $2500.00 just to find the leak. That’s not correcting the issue and also he said that’s not putting it back together. For 16oz’s a month, I think I could do without. But yes, it still baffles me and still pisses me off. If you have any suggestions, let me know. If you want to contact me, my name is Troy and my number is (760)-707-7011. I would love to collaborate

MazenK
Guest Contributor
I Chased this problem for months. Finally, we figured it out, the problem was a hairline crack on the upper inside corner in the water tank. I had to take it out to actually see it. It is a very poor design. I had the tank welded and added additional support to prevent it from flexing while under way.

Captain_Mark
Guest Contributor
I have replaced 99% of my freshwater connectors on board as they are all have failed at one time or another... '98 DA 450

Airwaves
Rising Contributor
@MARK D FLATEN what type of pipe did you use? My 93 550 SB has the gray stuff (pex) and I’m assuming I need to convert to newer stuff. Any recommendations on what to use? And did you glue or use shark bites or something else?

Captain_Mark
Guest Contributor
Our "98 has red & blue 15mm & 22mm piping throughout

MazenK
Guest Contributor
Guys..it is NOT the condensate line or the gray water..There is an additional bilge pump that takes care of the over flow. It is directly related to the fresh water tank, either cracked or the pipes/hoses leaking.

RMS
Guest Contributor
My 510 had a similar problem and it was the bilge pump discharge was plugged (which eventually blew the pump). The condensate line should run water to the overflow as noted by mazenk.