cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I own a 1995 SeaRay Sundancer model...

slipaway
Guest Contributor

I own a 1995 SeaRay Sundancer model 450, and was wondering if anyone had experience with installing a water system on their boat. I want to eliminate the water tank and draw water from the lake. As I boat in the Great Lakes, I have no need for a salinator. 

Any advice, experiences, or recommendations would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Bob_440_DA_w_Ca
Guest Contributor
you Could tee off the A/C through hole after strainer but need to check your pump lift capacity. On my 440 the pumps are below the tank so self priming and pumps may have minimal to no lift capacity. Also the pumps are not very forgiving to debris especially sand so I would be careful or get a more rugged pump such as is on your AC unit.

slipaway
Guest Contributor
Thanks Bob for the reply. Actually I was thinking of installing a water purification systemtmwith an infra red filter as well.
I like your comment of taping off the AC thru hull after the strainer. My pumps are above the tank, so they will definitely have some pull to them. However not 100% sure if they are strong enough, but shouldn't be an issue to replace them.
My other question is regarding the water supply itself. Is there any issue with using the same supply for both the AC and water supply, and do I need to utilize an accumulator tank?
Thanks again Bob

wingless
Rising Contributor
One of my modifications was to install a raw water washdown onto the bow pulpit.

For that I installed a new through hull, seacock, strainer and pump. The pump is wired to have power whenever the windlass has power.

This has been a very handy system that has worked flawlessly for 15 years.

My boat was built w/ three through hulls in the rear center of the hull, that is where I added the fourth. That part of the hull is cored, so I drilled slightly larger than required, scooped out the coring, filled w/ thickened epoxy, allowed to harden, then drilled the correct size. I also painted up into all the hull openings w/ my barrier coat epoxy when I barrier coated the hull.

Bob_440_DA_w_Ca
Guest Contributor
Sorry for such a late reply. I would not consider taking any water flow away from the A/C circuit. I am pretty sure the strainer and through hull has flow capacity to handle more flow but not the pump if that was what you were thinking to try. Plus would not work because if you teed off the pump outlet side you would never be able to build pressure in the water circuit since the AC circuit is open to the overboard all the time.

A_Lot_More_Misc
Guest Contributor
like wingless, I installed a thru hull using the black water macerator outlet (illegal here in Canada) I hooked into Fresh Water Pump 2 on our 440 EB, Then we hook the host to a good filter and use it to fill our water tanks! Works great!