cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I remain interested in upgrading...

slande
Guest Contributor

I remain interested in upgrading from a 60DA to an L650.  However, the L650 galley storage area looks very limited and awkward. For anyone who owns one, what has been your experience of the galley storage?.

8 REPLIES 8

fwebster
Guest Contributor
Have you seen the L650 galley in person? There is a good bit more space than he photos lead you to think. Sea Ray's designers and engineers have done some very innovative things with the cabinetry to add storage space in the galley on this boat.

slande
Guest Contributor
Yes and it's beautiful. I know there's a tradeoff; no overhead cabinets provides better visibility. However, most all the grocery storage is in a Rube Goldberg cabinet. If I recall there is room and good access for glassware, plates and silverware. Did I miss something?

fwebster
Guest Contributor
No, I don't think you did. When asked about the storage and lack of other long range cruising amenities, the sales guys at Sea Ray say their normal demographic is a cruiser who travels from one marina/resort to the next and does not prepare meals onboard. A lot of the early buyers have had Sea Ray customize the interior for them as the boat was being built. This is a frequent enough occurrence that Sales has 650 interior mock-ups at the Sykes Creek plant for buyers to use in the final planning of their new boat. One owner has turned one of the mid staterooms into a walk in closet and another has turned that space into a combination office and pantry.

Over, all the L650 is a dream to operate and does exactly what a boat is supposed to do with a soft dry ride and no bad habits.

Sea_Gull
Guest Contributor
In our nearly 2 years of ownership of our L650FLY we have found creative ways to store food and supplies. We opted to eliminate the dishwasher, which gives us a huge drawer for easily accessible items. The Rubik's Cube drawer IS an ingenious use of space, but hard to access while a couple of people are cooking, and impossible while underway. Also don't overlook the drawers in the dinette table base and the drawer at the bottom of the stairs, near the washing machine.

We store dry goods that we don't need immediate access to in the starboard stateroom, and cases of bottled water under the master bed.

Other owners have opted for custom cabinetry in one of the side staterooms or crew quarters. We don't find that necessary.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Just got back from 4 weeks on the L650. Would never give up any kitchen appliance for storage. IMO it doesn't have as much kitchen storage as the 60DA. Out 650 has custom installed storage for dry goods below deck while the galley storage is woefully inadequate for extended cruising. Without custom improvements you will be disappointed.

ron_berman
Guest Contributor
Jeff, It was great meeting you at the Palm Beach show this weekend. I now have a face to put with the name.

ron_berman
Guest Contributor
Capt Rick, Can I get some pictures of your storage below decks next time you are on your boat? Thanks,

Captain_Rick1
Guest Contributor
Unfortunately the 650 is out of the country and we were guests on board.