cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my boat from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario

bracketracer
Guest Contributor

First post here.  Back in the beginning of September, I closed on an '01 380DA.  Moved up a bit from a 96 4-Winns 245 Sundowner.  It was pretty close to my home marina, but still required a trip down a canal through a few locks.  Even though we live north of the Buffalo area, and the boat was in a Buffalo marina, the Welland canal made the most sense.  Over land would have been a logistical challenge, and going straight down the Niagara River suddenly gets very steep 🙂

Anyway, looking forward to some new adventures.  Will likely take a run up the Trent-Severn waterway in the Summer.

http://imgur.com/a/L1rah
6 REPLIES 6

Sara_Fahy1
Guest Contributor
That's awesome bracketracer! I loved reading your story and seeing the photos. What a cool trip!

waycoolcars
Guest Contributor
i also have a 380 sundancer your first trip in your new boat sounds like it was a great adventure and the pictures made it a slide show for us all

bracketracer
Guest Contributor
Definitely intimidating at first. My first time in locks, first time on twins, first time driving anything longer than 26'. Really made for a good learning experience, that's for sure. 🙂

waycoolcars
Guest Contributor
i also came from a lot smaller speed boat we had a 27 baja i think the hardest part of moving up was the 13ft beam docking the boat i found challenging when slipping the boat beside other large boats become friends with the bow thruster it has saved me a couple of times in tight spots and windy marinas

wingless
Rising Contributor
The 380DA is a great boat. The boat handles very well, especially during tight docking maneuvers, even w/o a bow thruster.

My long-term ownership of this boat has permitted me to gain a complete understanding of all the systems on the boat.

It looks like expected boat operation will include travels between US and Canada. Are there any special requirements for crossing the international border by pleasure boat?

bracketracer
Guest Contributor
It's not overly difficult, but definitely a few rules to follow. First one is that you check in with 888-CAN-PASS on your way over. They'll ask a bunch of questions, passport numbers, names, reason for visit, etc. Very similar to a land border crossing. Make sure all alcohol is locked up. No drinking while underway, by anyone on the boat. Check in when you arrive at port. Not too bad really.