cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1997 400 Sundanncer gets water...

Eph1
Guest Contributor

My 1997 400 Sundanncer gets water in the aft cabin beneath the table pedestal.  I can not figure out where it is coming from.  It is not sea water and it is the color of tea.  Any ideas or suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7

HUMPH
Guest Contributor
Isn't the water tank back under the seats in your model? You may have an issue with the fresh water tank (or one of the hoses) leaking.

ybmtnt
Guest Contributor
I had the exact same issue with my 1997 400DA Sundancer. The problem was caused by a cracked 100 gall fresh water tank. The tank with is made of plastic is located under the seats in the aft cabin. The coloring of the water is from the carpetis.

The best solution is to remove the original plastic tank and replace it with a fiberglass one, which you'll have to get made.

Contract_Pendin
Guest Contributor
I have a 1998 Sundancer and had the same issue. I finally determined as the guys above stated, it was a leaking water that. he easiest way to get the water out is remove the table base and remove the styrofoam down too the bottom of the base, and vacuum the water ( I tried to do it the hard way, did not work). The replacement tank can be built by the original tank supplier the tank. It is located in central Florida.

Carter
Guest Contributor
EPH - PeterKVS on Club Sea Ray detailed how he fixed his FW tank crack/leak. My dock mate had the same crack in his 400 DA's tank, and cured his problem by only filling the tank to 3/4...

Jayhawk
Guest Contributor
If your fuel tank was cracked and leaking would you solve that be filling it only part way? Most cracks get bigger and may open rather rapidly estecially in rough seas so you could get 50 - 75 gallons in the hold rather than 100. If it can't be reliably patched replace the tank.

MazenK
Guest Contributor
Ii have the same problem. As Jayhawk said, regardless of how little water you fill your tank, once you are underway, the water pressure will force water out. It is a poor design issue, the crack is usually in the 90 degree angle in the front corner and possibly hard to see. Also, the tank is not supported enough to prevent the flexing due to the weight of the water with no baffles.

I have tried many solutions, all eventually failed due to the amount of pressure outward. The best solution if you are not willing to change the tank ($1500), is to drill a whole between the stairs wall and the bulge under the stairs to allow for the water to drain into the area where there is a bulge pump. Although I do recommend dumping a capful of Clorox every week.

Eph1
Guest Contributor
thanks.. I think I am going to replace the tank.