cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

primaDonnaI have a 40DA with a...

bdowdney
Guest Contributor

primaDonna

I have a 40DA with a depth gauge that works part time.  The transducer is a thru the hull type made by Airmar and they tell me they either work, or they totally die.  No in between.  It is plugged into a Garmin chart plotter.  I have cleaned every connection I can find.  Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

fwebster
Guest Contributor
Do you have any other depth measuring device on the boat? Sometimes one transducer will cause interference with another. If you have Tri-data or another type depth sounder, try turning it off or unplugging its transducer from the head unit to see if that clears the intermittant reading on the primary depth device.

bdowdney
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the info, but no I don't

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
Is it going through a "black box" before connecting to the display?

Scott18
Guest Contributor
Are you underway when its not working? sometimes you get air pockets underway and the transducer wont work for periods of time. On a poor install it may never work at some speeds.

If its intermittent while at the dock, do you have another chart plotter you can try swapping the transducer to?

bdowdney
Guest Contributor
Scott:
    Thanks, but this transducer has a mind of its own. It does not matter if you are underway, or sitting still.  It's plugged into a new Garmin.  I tried to plug it into an older Raymarine, but the plug does not fit.thanks...Bill

In a message dated 6/2/2019 9:21:19 AM US Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Are you underway when its not working? sometimes you get air pockets underway and the transducer wont work for periods of time. On a poor install it may never work at some speeds. If its intermittent while at the dock, do you have another chart plotter you can try swapping the transducer to?

Are you underway when its not working? sometimes you get air pockets underway and the transducer wont work for periods of time. On a poor install it may never work at some speeds.

If its intermittent while at the dock, do you have another chart plotter you can try swapping the transducer to?

primaDonna

I have a 40DA with a depth gauge that works part time.  The transducer is a thru the hull type made by Airmar and they tell me they either work, or they totally die.  No in between.  It is plugged into a Garmin chart plotter.  I have cleaned every connection I can find.  Any ideas?

To change or turn off SROC email, log in as [email protected].

Are notifications about this post getting annoying? Reply to this email with the word " mute ".

800 South Gay Street, Suite 1200, Knoxville, TN

bdowdney
Guest Contributor
If it is, I sure can't find it

In a message dated 6/2/2019 8:23:24 AM US Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

primaDonna

Are notifications about this post getting annoying? Reply to this email with the word " mute ".

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
I have an older raymarine setup with everything networked through the old Raymarine HSB2 network. My transducer connects to a digital sounder module which then sends the image to the display over the HSB2 network. I was having a very similar problem with my setup yesterday. I think the radar display was shorting out the HSB2 network. When I took it out of the loop it and the Chartplotter and depth sounder displays started working correctly. I am however not convinced that I dont have a ground problem somewhere causing my issues, just haven't had time to load test my grounds.

bdowdney
Guest Contributor
thanks

In a message dated 6/2/2019 6:15:27 PM US Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
I have an older raymarine setup with everything networked through the old Raymarine HSB2 network. My transducer connects to a digital sounder module which then sends the image to the display over the HSB2 network. I was having a very similar problem with my setup yesterday. I think the radar display was shorting out the HSB2 network. When I took it out of the loop it and the Chartplotter and depth sounder displays started working correctly. I am however not convinced that I dont have a ground problem somewhere causing my issues, just haven't had time to load test my grounds.

primaDonna

Thanks, but this transducer has a mind of its own. It does not matter if you are underway, or sitting still.  It's plugged into a new Garmin.  I tried to plug it into an older Raymarine, but the plug does not fit.thanks...Bill

In a message dated 6/2/2019 9:21:19 AM US Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Are you underway when its not working? sometimes you get air pockets underway and the transducer wont work for periods of time. On a poor install it may never work at some speeds. If its intermittent while at the dock, do you have another chart plotter you can try swapping the transducer to?

primaDonna

In a message dated 6/2/2019 8:23:24 AM US Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

primaDonna