cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removal of hockey pucks adhered...

RAV
Guest Contributor

removal of hockey pucks adhered to hardtop with PL3000.

Original owner installed a crystalline solar panel by adhering 4 hockey pucks then screwing the panel in.  I have upgraded since but have not been able to remove the hockey pucks and fear damaging the hardtop.  Any thoughts out there? 

7 REPLIES 7

B_Smith
Guest Contributor
My guess would be to have a professional who repairs fiberglass/gel coat take a look at it.

wingless
Rising Contributor
That pucks...

The linked PL-300 data sheet doesn't say anything about removal of cured adhesive.

https://www.buildsite.com/pdf/pl/Loctite-PL-300-Foamboard-Construction-Adhesive-Product-Data-1868313.pdf

It might be possible to cut, then abrasively remove the hockey pucks, such as w/ careful usage of an OMT, then careful usage of a 6" rotary vacuum sander w/ coarse grit paper. I like my Festool RO150FEQ for stuff like this.

The final clean up might be possible w/ a finer grit, hopefully w/ minimal / no gel coat damage.

wingless
Rising Contributor
If going that abrasive route, use the thin / hard pad to permit targeting only the puck, not also flexing around and getting the hardtop.

RAV
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the comments and humor. I am going to try using a Bostik adhesive remover that was recommended. Will let you know how it goes. Won't get to it until April ... with my other boat chores. 95 days from today until boat launch.

Charlie51
Guest Contributor
You could also try applying heat to soften it. Then use a plastic scraper.

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
West marine has a product called de-bond that works for releasing 3m 5200. Not sure on the adhesive that was used, but this could be an option of your Bostik fails to do the job.

RAV
Guest Contributor
A follow-up to this post. Purchased some Bostik adhesive remover and it worked well. Slow process using a scraper, hammer and the Bostik but it worked. The Bostic is citrus based and will not damage the gelcoat.