cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sea Rays are short range cruisers...

Jayhawk
Guest Contributor

Sea Rays are short range cruisers due to limited fuel capacity. For example the 480DB or 480 motor yacht have 500gal in trackage or approximately 480gal usable fuel. Has anyone added additional fuel tanks? If so how, what did it cost and would you recommend?

7 REPLIES 7

Jayhawk
Guest Contributor
Can you add fuel tanks to a searay?

Airwaves
Rising Contributor
I’m sure if you have room to do so you can add tanks or increase the size of the tanks. What are you trying to achieve - what size are your tanks now?

gtstang462002
Guest Contributor
If you can find the space in your hull to add tanks, yes you can. There is a trade off however, extra fuel is heavy and takes away from the amount of weight that you could otherwise carry. If you are traveling the ICW, there are enough fuel stops to make the loop in that distance.

NagsHeadMike
Guest Contributor
Easier to just slow down to extend your range. Our twin 480CE engines burn 3.5 gallons an hour at trawler displacement speeds. Range is 4+ times as go fast range. Nice to be able to go fast when you want, but most long distance cruisers travel pretty slow. But if you do not have the time, this is not an option.

Jayhawk
Guest Contributor
We are looking at a 480 Sea Ray Motor yacht which holds 500gal and get 1.4 MPG at 10mph and 0.6 at 22 - 26mph. We plan to cruise the Bahama's and would like to stay out for extended periods.

Not having cruised the Bahama's I do not know the availability of fuel, distance between fuel sources and whether people stay out of port for extended periods.

We would also be running a 14kw genset which would take .5 to 1.2 gph depending on load.

Extended range and capacity for the genset might be more of a convenience than a necessity but that is why I am asking. What is your experience and has anyone added the tanks, fixed or bladder, to a Sea Ray like this.

Airwaves
Rising Contributor
Plan to go but only in research phase. Here’s one article - http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012/03/19/crossing-season-bimini-in-range/

Airwaves
Rising Contributor
Only 48 miles Miami to Bimini but Gulf Stream and Ocean waves.