cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There are a number marine audio...

ron_berman
Guest Contributor
There are a number marine audio brands on the market today Please pick the brand you feel is the best for the boating environment. Please add comments to the group to support your choice or to comment on marine audio systems in general.
15 REPLIES 15

bracketracer
Guest Contributor
Looks like the polling function works also.

Tough question for me to answer though. I've got both Fusion and JL on mine.

Fusion 750 BT/DVD, Fusion sub/amp in the cabin. I went with Fusion due to the integration capabilities with the newer Raymarine MFDs. I considered the JL MediaMaster for the head unit, but I don't think it plays with Raymarine, at least not as a native app.

The cockpit speakers/sub and the cabin ceiling speakers are all JL Audio, due to my preference for their sound.

ron_berman
Guest Contributor
Can you tell me what you like about the two brands?

bracketracer
Guest Contributor
Not sure if you expanded my whole comment above.

I like the Fusion due to the integration with the newer Raymarine MFDs, and the JL Audio due to the superior sound quality (and I've got a local supplier who gives me killer bro-deals) 🙂

Also, with regards to the particular Fusion I bought, the ability to control more than 2 separate zones independently. Even though my boat isn't "big", per se, I want separate volume/level controls in the forward berth, main cabin, and cockpit.

ron_berman
Guest Contributor
Bracketracer,

Thanks for the clarification. I expanded you comments after I last replied. Based on your feedback, the integration with Raymarine sound quality and the deal helped drove your choice in audio. Thanks for the feedback.

Matt_Who_Dat
Guest Contributor
Same here...I like the integration of the Fusion with all of my new Raymarine MFD's. I have Fusion systems on 3 of my boats.

ron_berman
Guest Contributor
Matt Who Dat,

Thanks for your feedback. If another audio brand had a similar integration that offered equal to or better functionality would you consider it?

bracketracer
Guest Contributor
Ron, if you don't mind, I'd like to respond to this also.

In my ideal world, I'd like to see something on a boat that is like Sonos. I don't know if you're familiar with that home audio brand, but I'll expand anyway. So, we've got some pitfalls with BT systems, right? Stray 30' away from your boat with your phone, signal drops. Have phone alerts on, and playing music loud? Yeah when you get that text alert or the phone rings, it really wakes folks up. Want to play different playlists in different zones? Party in the cockpit, little nap time in the forward berth? Nope, can't do that.

A Sonos or Sonos-type of solution would be perfect for this. What it would require though, is some sort of infrastructure WiFi arrangement. Not terribly difficult though, in today's world. High gain WiFi antenna, a router or two, done. Easy. I'm actually adding that equipment to my 380 this weekend.

The ability to aggregate all of your music streaming services and sources into one easy to use package that's *not* BT dependent is really nice. Add the ability to completely control every zone independently is the icing on the cake. Here's a sample screenshot if you're not familiar with the system

https://wpuploads.appadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/sonoscontroller_v38_ipad_screen1large-642x481.jpg

And for what it's worth, I would pay a premium for this type of system over all others. It's that good.

Chris___Laura
Guest Contributor
Aquatic AV head unit with Polk audio speakers...best combination I could find.

Riverwalk
Guest Contributor
Fusion head JL speakers and amps best combination

Brian_Specks
Guest Contributor
Couldn't agree more with Bracketracer, I love my Sonos system at home and have been longing for something similar for the boat.

Naut_Home
Guest Contributor
I agree with others above who offer Sonos as a great option to offer boaters.

Phoenix
Guest Contributor
Agree, Fusion head, remote, amp and JL speakers best combo. also Fusion wireless speaker easy to set up and good sounds for music on the bow. marine sonos would be great too!

ron_berman
Guest Contributor
Thanks for all the feedback on m first owner's club poll. I do have a follow up question. I see a few people have noted connectivity to their Raymarine MFD displays. I would like to understand if anyone thinks this type of connectivity can replace a remote or volume knob on at the helm. Rockford Fosgate and Raymarine have partnered and have integrated audio and the electronics. As part of this is a persistent audio ribbon at the bottom of the display that shows volume, track information and a track up or down button. This allows you to control your audio and not consume space on the MFD. I would like to here feedback on the new advancement and feature.

http://www.raymarine.com/view/blog/news/details/?ID=16565

BrentDC
Guest Contributor
Too many controls being put on MFDs.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
I would rate audio controls on MFD's a very low priority. We already have too much information on the MFD's Everyone seems to want engine instruments, radar, charting, bottom machine read-outs, remote cameras, night vision cameras etc. displayed at the helm. We need to focus on actually running the boat rather than looking down at MFD screens.

I also question "turning over" control of a large part of the vessel's system to a 3rd party vendor when plotters/MFD have historically been the least dependable of the control station electronics.