cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have a 1999 450 Sundancer. Can...

krobel
Guest Contributor

We have a 1999 450 Sundancer. Can anyone tell me where/how to turn on the engine compartment lights? Also, is there only one Cruisair unit or two and how many BTU's?

14 REPLIES 14

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

This link has the Owner's Manual for the 1999 450 Sundancer.

https://bbg1.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#E0000000Z21E/a/E00000000UDC/S48.ifUaSudYDuNnENNJSemanCWa8QE_iNozmRaVhVE

Page 116 has the wiring diagram for this yacht.

The middle of the page shows the requested Bilge light switch located between the Spoiler Light and the Horn, at the helm switch panel, as shown in this image.

https://images.yachtworld.com/resize/1/95/31/7469531_20200603103018286_1_XLARGE.jpg

fwebster
Guest Contributor
Bilge light switch is in the row of switches in the center of the dash, just about dead center. There are 2 Cruisaire units. The salon unit is a 16KBTU; the forward compartment is 12K BTU

krobel
Guest Contributor
Thanks so much. Found the one in the stateroom. Where is the one in the salon? We have a sedan that extends on the port side. Is it under that?

wingless
Rising Contributor
Not knowing the location, the unit will be close to the return air duct.

Note that on my boat the return air duct grill may be opened to expose a permanent air filter that may be cleaned and replaced using a garden hose.

krobel
Guest Contributor
Thanks for the info. Found the engine bay switch (I swear I looked) it's in the "Lights" section of switches labeled "Bilge".
Also found the two A/C units. Raw water pump is inoperable.
In locating the salon A/C unit I found the central vacuum system. How do I turn that on?

fwebster
Guest Contributor
The AC circulating pump should come on automatically whenever the thermostat calls for the heat/AC to be on. Be sure the Circulating pump breaker on the salon panel is switched to "on". The pump is triggered by a relay called a "Trigger" that is located in the small AC control box located near the Salon A/C unit. It is a separate white box from the Salon AC unit.

The central vacuum unit is switched on by plugging the hose end into one of the vacuum inlets in the cabin......a switch is built into the fitting the hose vacuum plugs into.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The vacuum hose has a metal band around the end that plugs into the receptacle. That band completes the circuit so the vacuum knows when to turn on.

The AC relay triggers effect a logical OR function, so the raw water pump will operate when either AC compressor is running.

A common failure mode is for one of the two triggers to fail. The result of that condition is that the raw water pump will run only when the AC connected to the functional trigger is running. If both triggers have failed then the pump will never operate.

The salon A/C power distribution panel will have a breaker for each AC compressor and a breaker for the raw water pump. All three breakers must be ON.

krobel
Guest Contributor
All three breakers are on when I try the A/C units. We've gotten an error code HI PS if anyone knows what that means. Raw water pump is difficult to get to but it's very rusty. My gut tells me to replace that first Thoughts?
Where do I get a vacuum hose. Can't find one on board.
BTW, Thanks for everyone's help it is greatly appreciated. Some day I hope to return the favor but still new to our new boat. Learning every day.

wingless
Rising Contributor
You are welcome!

The HI PS code displayed on the control panel is high pressure detected by the AC, shutting off the system.

This happens when no, or insufficient raw water flow exists to remove heat that the system is attempting to transfer out of the cabin.

Please confirm no water flow when either AC is attempted to operate.

Yes, the exterior of the steel raw water pump can / will have surface rust. That will not prevent normal operation.

There will be a UL enclosure in the engine room where the raw water pump wiring is connected to the boat wiring. On my boat that is the tan box w/ the Caution label in the bottom right corner of the image. Locate that on your boat and carefully / safely measure the A/C line voltage applied to the pump motor when the AC is selected for operation. If zero A/C volts exist, then it is likely that the trigger(s) have failed, not the pump.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4745/40465168062_560799e07e_c.jpg

The replacement hose for the Beam central vacuum is available from many suppliers.

https://beamvac.com/product-category/hoses/

The vac kit on my boat has a hose, two wand sections and a variety of end tools.

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
If you are in saltwater, the A/C seawater plumbing system should be cleaned every 6 months with Barnacle Buster or equivalent. The small restrictions due to marine growth will cause a Hi PS code as well. Once you get you pump running that is.
Do the A/C units run for a bit before shutting down and displaying HI PS?

krobel
Guest Contributor
Pump does not run when either of the units are turned on. Boat was moored in sea water but is now moored in fresh water. Bottom was pressure washed just before our purchase.
The A/C units run for a while before shutting down. They run longer if we try to get heat out of them as opposed to A/C. No luck with heat either.

Jet_Rooster
Guest Contributor
Well, as above, determine if there is voltage at the pump when the units are turned on. My guess would be replace the pump.
I’m sure you have checked, but make sure the A/C seacock is open and the strainer basket is clear.
I would also replace all the hoses when you replace the pump.

krobel
Guest Contributor
Thanks, I'm following your logic. I'll find the box and test the voltage. Thanks so much

Diduwanna
Guest Contributor
put a garden hose to the pvc pipe to the unit and blow it out.