cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercruiser Manifolds Currently...

Drago
Rising Contributor

Mercruiser Manifolds

Currently have the 290 in the driveway on stands doing exhaust side overhauls and need to replace two manifolds.  Has anyone in this group used non Mercruiser manifolds such as Barr, Sierra, or HGE?  Trying to get some feed back on quality, longevity and such vs the OEM stuff. 

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
On my boat I always used the OEM Mercruiser exhaust parts, replacing them for internal corrosion every 3-5 years and performing an annual disassembly for internal inspection.

At the last replacement cycle I had enough and redesigned the exhaust using OEM Mercruiser parts, from impossible to drain and impossible to flush, to now permitting me to drain, then flush w/ fresh water, soapy water, then Salt Away, followed by draining bone dry, ready for the next usage.

My last annual disassembly for internal passage inspection after four years of usage revealed that these parts still look brand new.

My expectation is that these parts will now last the life of the engines.

Drago
Rising Contributor
You got my attention on the modification. Can you attach a picture of what you did or notes please. Suspect you used some of the numerous plugged ports

Efra
Guest Contributor
I just changed out my manifolds , risers and spacers on my 280. My mechanic suggested BARR as an alternative becuz of price since BARR is very similar to Mercruiser. All others are NOT a good

Drago
Rising Contributor
Actually dug around and picked up two sets of Mercruiser manifolds bargains.