cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On our 2001 380 Sundancer the...

Bob_42614
Guest Contributor

On our 2001 380 Sundancer the hatch actuator started raising and lowering the hath really slow and now only makes a humming noise and no movement. I already ordered the part ($1,200) however looking at Capt Jeff's question now I'm wondering if it just needs grease or a repair kit? Thoughts? 

12 REPLIES 12

wingless
Rising Contributor
It might be humming because it doesn't know the words...

Yes, the first step should be cleaning, then lubrication of the gearbox and of the lead screw.

If the hatch won't open, then the port floor may be removed, permitting access to remove the actuator clevis pin. After the clevis pin is out, then lots of strength and effort may be used to raise the hatch enough to secure the raised hatch w/ the prop rod.

Use extreme caution when raising the hatch. It is heavy w/ plenty of unforgiving pinch points.

Dank
Guest Contributor
I had the same issue, I was quoted price of around 1000 for the actuator and ended up getting it at industrial parts place for under $300. Exact same part.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The part used by Sea Ray has the correct UL 1500 ignition-protection rating required for marine application.

The replacement part must also have that rating / marking.

CKboater
Guest Contributor
I have a 37' with the same windshield vent, changed mine 4 years ago, I did all the measurement and found the "Linear Actuator" online from a car performance shop for around $78.00 Identical to the factory one.

wingless
Rising Contributor
My assumption is that the OP inquiry is for the engine room hatch linear actuator, not the windshield vent linear actuator.

A substitution for the windshield vent part is not an issue. Ignition protection is not required at that location.

But, the engine room hatch part must have the UL 1500 ignition-protection rating.

CKboater
Guest Contributor
my 37' has a manual engine room hatch not actuator. YES it must be UL ignition protected. My bad - thought it was windshield vent.

Bob_42614
Guest Contributor
@wingless, meant to tell you that the onhumming comment was hilarious!

Bob_42614
Guest Contributor
Wingless, was looking for the link you sent on the manufacturer of the actuator. Can you resend it please.

wingless
Rising Contributor
There are lots of actuator links on the manufacturer's web site.

Here is the one that was provided previously, on the topic that was last updated on April 8.

https://www.thomsonlinear.com/downloads/actuators/Electrak_10_Repair_Kits_Manual_mnen.pdf

Bob_42614
Guest Contributor
Can I buy it directly from them?

Captain_Jeff
Guest Contributor
Hi Bob, what did you end up doing for your engine hatch? I haven’t done anything but am looking at a Warner Linear actuator (x2).

Vinster
Guest Contributor
I had to replace the Port zerk with and angle to allow easy access. Add grease 3x year. Using a rag, wipe clean shaft. Then wipe on just a pinch to the shaft.