cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1998 270 SDA Sundancer cabin door...

Tung
Guest Contributor

1998 270 SDA Sundancer cabin door doesnt slide. Feels more like I am dragging it across the track then sliding. Rather certain the sliding mechanism is worn or broken. My understanding is that I will need to remove the helm control panel to access and remove the door and track. Searay doesn't make the track system any longer, they did list an alternate part but before going that route I wanted to investigate repair of the sliding mechanism first.

Anyone here know what kind of sliding mechanism runs on this track? Is it a truck or a ball? if so what sizes? I was directed to boatoutfitters.com to potentially order parts but thought I'd get a temperature from the group before disassembly and accessing the door. Would be ideal to have the part in-hand before de-constructing the cockpit to get at this.

many thanks.

Tung

4 REPLIES 4

Cap_Ken
Guest Contributor
I've used silicone spray on the track.

wingless
Rising Contributor
The door has four trucks riding in two tracks.

https://images.boattrader.com/resize/1/98/4/7869804_20210504105038880_1_LARGE.jpg

There are three truck sizes. The replacement trucks must match the original trucks. My 2000 380DA uses two different sizes of trucks.

On my boat, over two decades, I have replaced a handful of trucks and the tracks still look fine.

Here is one size truck.

https://www.fpmarine.com/Sliding-door-track-rollers-p/door%20truck%20a%2023mm.htm

On my boat I keep the trucks and tracks clean. I vacuum as much as possible, then use a garden hose to flood the area to remove as much crud as possible. This method seems to be effective.

Tung
Guest Contributor
Excellent. Thanks gents. Capt Ken, sounds like a good starting point before escallating to invasive maneuvers. Wingless, if I end up replacing the trucks, which I anticipate, any advice on getting to the door tracks? Looking through the compartment door beneath the helm I do not see any indicators that this the cover will come off without a fight.

wingless
Rising Contributor
Should be "easy".

Be very, very careful. The door is made from Unobtainium, so do not damage / break the door.

On mine, the screws retaining the upper trucks to the door are accessed from the exterior top. The lower trucks are attached to a U strip and that strip is screwed to the lower panel.

Once the panel is off, the channels are screwed to the boat. I use sealant at all the holes when replacing.