cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need ideas for cleaning mold/mildew...

DJH
Guest Contributor

I need ideas for cleaning mold/mildew off of white vinyl seats. I stored the boat under shrink wrap for the winter and had the rear seat catch a bad case of mold and mildew. My usual go to cleaner helped but did not Completely remove the stains.

12 REPLIES 12

Carol_s_Cruiser
Guest Contributor
DJH Use 1/3 cup powdered laundry detergent, 1 qt. liquid chlorine bleach, and 3 qts. warm water. Add the bleach to the water first and then the detergent. Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses and have plenty of ventilation. Apply the solution with a soft cloth or spray bottle. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, but don’t let it dry. You’ll see the mold in mildew stains lighten or turn white. Rinse with fresh water and towel dry. good luck!

MrTracy
Guest Contributor
I had the same issue. I ended up sanding it down with fine sandpaper and buying "Sea Ray" white paint and touch up painted the affected areas. It turned out so well, I painted almost all the seats

Korkie
Guest Contributor
Careful with the Bleach. It will destroy your stitching and seams will start opening up. Many have had very good results with OxyClean. Create a pasty type slur, work it in with brush and rinse WELL. There are other commercial cleaners such as Starbrite Mold and Mildew remover, again - be careful using anything with bleach. If you do, rinse it thoroughly with water and then rinse it again.

Mary_Beth
Guest Contributor
I just bought a 290 Amberjack and the seats looked like they were never cleaned. I tried all of the above suggestions plus scrubbing bubbles, spray 9, simple green. What finally worked was a product call Honey, sold at Advanced Auto. I put it on, let it sit 5 min and used magic eraser. Brought the seats back to original beautiful. I followed it up with the Honey conditioner. look like new

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
X14 mildew & mold spray or LYP Cleaner saw it on LI boating club video with Eddie.

Wilks1
Guest Contributor
I've used "Marina31" products for years. Have been extremely satisfied with there products performance.

Bluey
Guest Contributor
Try using a teaspoon of oil or cloves to 1litre of water . The mix will kill the mould and it should just wipe away after 12-24 hours

Bluey
Guest Contributor
Supposed to read oil of cloves

PJS
Guest Contributor
Sounds like you did not have enough ventilation in the wrap cover... There are many hacks for cleaning but, from my first hand experience, depending how "set" the mold if the mold is, if color is very light/white, you will end up having to repaint. Assuming you want the cushion to look presentable.
The Magic Erasures work wonders but require a lot of scrubbing; painting them will restore to like new in appearance.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
Since my boat sits in the water year round on the gulf coast, I fought this issue for several years. I tried most everything in terms of chemicals. I now use Marine31 mildew remover gel. Spray it on, leave it for 5 min and if really bad, hit it with a brush. Then just rinse off with water. Then coat it with their mildew guard. I do this process every six months and my seats are 10 yrs old and look almost new. I should be getting a finders fee but have used various waxes, polishes, cleaners etc and over time have switched to each of Marine31 products and they have all outperformed their competition. I used to use Maguire's cleaner wax and polish. I now use Marine31 Captains one step compound and polish and instead of going over the boat 3 times, I now do it once and get a superior job.

270SDASE
Guest Contributor
I too use the Marine31 products. I ordered Boat Oxidation removal Kit which at the time also included a really good book on process, product, equipment, technique (Mike Phillip’s How to Detail a Boat with Marine31). I used it to select a Dewalt DWP849X buffer, and there are some kits from suppliers that include the buffer. My first time use was a 3-step process to get ride of heavy oxidation, but now I generally use just the 2-step process with polish then wax. My 1998 boat hull looks like new!

jrsamples
Guest Contributor
I use starbrite jel in a spray bottle and it did a great job