cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know what bottom paint...

MrB18
Guest Contributor

Does anyone know what bottom paint Sea Ray uses?  I have a 2003 Sundancer 300 that finally needs botom paint and was told I need to remove all the old paint or use what was originally used.

Thank You

Allen

3 REPLIES 3

wingless
Rising Contributor
Wow!

Please discover and report on that 17 year bottom paint. I want to switch to using that product.

My 2000 380DA had a tough as nails primer, covered w/ black ablative paint.

Unless a barrier coat is going to be applied, then the existing paint should be pressure washed, scuffed and the new paint applied.

This reply shows my bare hull protected w/ five coats of epoxy barrier coat, then Sea Hawk Biocop TF. This is my first time using this paint and I have been satisfied with this product.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/12558935-post19.html

Note that bottom paint is extremely toxic, so appropriate measures and protection are required. Do not open sand! Wear gloves, eye protection, lung protection and a space suit.

MrB18
Guest Contributor
Thank You for your feedback! I am the second owner bought the boat in 2016 and it had 250 freshwater (Lake Erie) hrs on it and the previous owner spent most his time cleaning and polishing, you could eat out of the engine room it was so clean. In fact while it was in the showroom and I had already bought it he visited it and dusted and polished it. He also kept meticulous records and they show he had the bottom paint touched up in 2014 but did not record what paint was used which was unusual with all the detail records he kept.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
Any reputable marine yard facility will know what is the latest quality bottom paint. Bottom paint technology has completely changed in 17 years. The boat should be pulled and sandblasted first. My boat is pulled every year and the bottom paint is lightly sandblasted and a new coat is applied. About every 4 years mine needs to be completely removed by sandblasting and primed and painted, but I'm in salt water continuously.