cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a few questions re ELECTRICAL...

Den
Guest Contributor

Have a few questions re ELECTRICAL matters on my newly acquired 2001 Sea Ray 280 Sun Sport and need some help & Advice.

Question #1: What is the function of the AC Converter Switch on my main AC Panel? Should this be on all the time when the boat is on shore power. It seems that the on-board battery charger does not work if that switch is not in the on position. Also it appears that this switch must be on for the CO Detector to work. Picture(s) attached.

Question #2: My CO detector alarm was going off and was disconnected. If the AC Converter switch is off it continues to show an alarm state. Do CO detectors fail or is there something I can do to prevent these “false” and annoying alarms…..maintenance etc or does it need to be replaced?

Question #3: Should I have my battery charger on all the time when on shore power? Does it matter if the battery switch is on Both or 1 or 2?

Question #4: Should I turn off the AC Power at the main panel before trying to start the engine?

Thank You…Dennis (Buffalo, NY)

4 REPLIES 4

Andy
Guest Contributor
I keep the AC converter on all the time with battery switch set to both. Don't know about the detector. I keep AC on when running the engines. My two cents

Islamoradamoon
Guest Contributor
The aconverter switch provides power to the battery charger. You should not be connected to shore power with this on and the engines running since the alternators would be providing battery charging at that point. I have replaced the CO2 detector, it failed after about 7 years and the generator requires that to operate. I leave my battery switch on both and the AC converter on while plugged in to shore power.

waterboy
Guest Contributor
The ac converter is your battery charger. It runs off of AC from either shore power or your generator. If you want the batteries to stay charged it should be on when connected to shore power or generator. It is on the 120 volt side of the board and is not affected by the alternators.

Den
Guest Contributor
Thanks to all ....much appreciated and very helpful! Dennis (Buffalo, NY)