cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello all. I purchased a 2009 370DA...

WickedRx
Guest Contributor

Hello all. I purchased a 2009 370DA a couple of years ago and lived in Ohio (Boat is in Tennessee) so I wasn't able to make it to the haul out for the survey. Fast forward 2 years of use and sitting in the lake in my slip and my depth finder is getting a bit finicky, not showing depth at times. I suspect algae or growth/gunk on my transducer, but having missed the haul out, I have no idea where to feel around under the boat to find it and wipe it off. Any thoughts on the most likely location? I have an extended swim platform as well, so it is going to take some calm water for me to get under it and not get my head cracked, so the more I know going in, the less time I have to spend feeling around under the boat.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5

wingless
Rising Contributor
The transducer is likely a through hull located near the keel in the engine room forward of the engines.

There should be a nearby dead plug, permitting in water removal replacement of the transducer. With one hand yank the transducer, cover the opening w/ the other hand, use the first hand to install the dead plug.

Note a column of water will rise w/o hand covering the opening. Little / acceptable water ingress will rise w/ this technique.

WickedRx
Guest Contributor
Thanks, WIngless. You are suggesting replace vs. clean, I take it.

wingless
Rising Contributor
YW

The removal / dead plug replacement permits cleaning the transducer surface from within the boat. The transducer is then replaced.

It is LOTS easier to service from the engine room then when underwater below the boat.

Mine also has a paddlewheel transducer that is serviced using this method. That transducer through hull has a rubber flap to limit water ingress when removed.

WickedRx
Guest Contributor
Thanks again. My mistake, I was of the impression the best approach would be to take a cloth and clean the transducer in the water. With your feedback, I took a look at some videos that seem to show exactly what you describe. Unscrewing and pulling the through-hull transducer, installing the Blanking Plug, cleaning and reinserting the transducer with minimal water entry. Apparently some newer boats have the rubber flap you mention, not sure if that applies to mine or not. I will climb down into the engine room and see what I can find with regards to the blanking plug and accessibility of the transducer. Could mean laying on the engine or something to reach it. Thanks for the guidance, saved me from attempting to do this from the water side. Key take away, check the forum and check videos BEFORE attempting this type of routine maintenance! 🙂

wingless
Rising Contributor
YW

On mine the narrow paddle wheel transducer diameter permits the rubber flap, but the large depth / temperature transducer diameter makes it impossible to have the flap.

On the humorous side, that caught me by surprise, w/ a face full of water, after reading in the documentation about the flap, changing the paddle wheel first, w/ no fuss no muss, then being surprised by a column of water in the face on the depth.

On mine, I keep the transducer and the dead plug exterior lightly lubricated w/ marine grease to aid in the swapping.