cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello. I need some advice please...

BMK
Guest Contributor

Hello. I need some advice please on increasing the range of my 2004 260 Sundancer. I am considering buying an extra fuel tank and installing it in my engine compartment. Has anyone done something like this before? I am trying to get a feel for what I'm up against with the install and fuel connections both coming in and going out along with working with the existing tank. While I was typing this I just had a thought: maybe I should simply replace the existing tank with a larger one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

Drago
Rising Contributor
Have you tried calling a marine architect to discuss the changes to how the boat will handle, float etc? I would be careful making large changes on weight and centers of gravitates of the boat without a plan

BMK
Guest Contributor
No, I'm brainstorming right now. I'm looking for no more than 40 gallons more and I will only use that on special occasions. But, thank you! I've been carrying 4 jerry cans of extra fuel when I go offshore. There must be a way.

220-280
Guest Contributor
Worthy project if it can be done safely. Seems to me installing a second NMMA certified fuel tank and manually switching the fuel source “may” be a safe way. If you used all marine lines and valves then had a Y valve you turned to have the fuel pump pull from the reserve tank, could work. For insurance company reasons, I would have a certified marine mechanic shop do the install.

270SDASE
Guest Contributor
Seems like a risky proposal, but doable if proper precautions followed, or as 220-280 suggests. Your boat does NOT likely have room mid-line to accommodate an extra fuel cell, so added capacity to port or starboard will likely affect your boat balance (not good, or worthy of the change). Also not likely to have room for a larger fuel cell. Maybe best solution is to change to a boat with the fuel capacity and range that meets your needs. Better safe than sorry (dead).