cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey all, Recently purchased a '99...

Evan_Walker
Guest Contributor

Hey all, Recently purchased a '99 260 Bow Rider. Boat has the 7.4 MPI with Bravo 3. I believe that's the L29 motor. Anyways, the mechanical hour meter is no longer functioning (its the only thing i've found that doesn't work on the boat). I have a replacement with the digital meter on the way but i was curious if the ECU on these motors stores the engine hours so i can keep a log of actual engine hours. I'm the third owner, guy i purchased the boat from bought it from the original owner, owned it for one season and only had it out one time last year. Hour meter reads 269 and the condition of the boat could easily support that but for a 21 year old boat im a little skeptical. Boat runs fantastic, no issues at all. Anyone know if the dealer can read the ECU for engine hours?

1 REPLY 1

wingless
Rising Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

The the engine ECU retains the total engine hours that may be read by the plug in diagnostic computer, like my Quicksilver Digital Diagnostic Terminal.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4357/36075822920_55df4c9044_c.jpg

Note that it is possible to manually increase the new engine hour meter total to match that stored in the engine, using a bench top wiring configuration, so the new hour meter increments until the displayed total reaches the correct count.