cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I was wondering what the normal...

JohnnyG
Guest Contributor

Hi, I was wondering what the normal operating engine temp should be on my 97 250 sundancer. I was told my port side riser is running hotter then starboard side but can still use the boat until they can pull them in a couple weeks, so just wanted to take some easy rides but keep an eye on my temp gauge which I normally did. My guess is 170 is the max is that correct ? Thanks

1 REPLY 1

wingless
Rising Contributor
My exhaust temperatures are always hotter on one side.

There is one raw water inlet, used to first cool all the engine systems, like the transmission and fuel pump, then split by the antifreeze heat exchanger to feed the exhaust on both sides of the engine.

The heat exchanger splits this single water inlet into two outputs by having one side make an additional pass through that heat exchanger.

The water exiting the heat exchanger that has made an extra pass has a higher temperature than the other side.

The hotter raw water will make the exhaust temperature higher than the side receiving the cooler water.

It is always a good idea to inspect the exhaust parts for internal corrosion, then replace deteriorated parts.