cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just purchased the new Sundancer...

Jan
Guest Contributor

I just purchased the new Sundancer 320OB and am trying to decide whether I should buy the extended warranty? Thought?

11 REPLIES 11

Dubi
Guest Contributor
Hi Jan, I also own the 2019 320 Sundancer and I did get the extended warranty. Mine was delivered to me over a month ago and I’m still waiting to get all the issues resolved. The Searay service for a new boat is extremely slow, I can’t even imagine how slow and expensive it will be without the extended warranty...

Redhead
Guest Contributor
I'm not sure why you would want to buy the Extended Warranty when you just bought the boat brand new. Unless the regular warranty from SeaRay does not cover every component from stem to stern, and the EW does, then I would save the money until the regular warranty is about to expire. What ever you do, make sure the engines, out-drives, and all third party mechanical items are included in the warranty. Of course, there may be financial reasons to buy the EW now. Also, make sure the firm offering the EW is reputable and financially sound. A Google search can quickly determine this. Enjoy your new boat and welcome to the SeaRay community!

Jan
Guest Contributor
Dubi, you must be in Orlando. They told me the number 1 boat went there. I just brought mine home yesterday, number 2. What an awesome boat! I did purchase the extended warranty. Only a couple of very minor issues. Marine Max Jacksonville may do a trip to the Bahamas next year so keep in touch!

Dubi
Guest Contributor
I’m in Atlanta GA. It is a great boat. I think I have boat #7. I’m just waiting for MarineMax and Searay to complete the open items. Sound like you got a better one...:)

Jan
Guest Contributor
Dubai, did you get the OB? Weird that you got the 7 before I got the 2

Premium_Made
Guest Contributor
Jan: Congratulations! Which extended warranty are you referring to? There's one from Brunswick and another from Mercury. I hear the Mercury warranty, while it may be more focused on the engine(s), is a better product.

Dubi
Guest Contributor
I got the I/O 2x300HP.

Jan
Guest Contributor
Ok that explains it. I got the OB 3 x 250

Two_Names
Guest Contributor
Do not buy the extended warranty. I purchased when I bought a 330DA and Brunswick denied every claim. It is a scam and ripoff.

fwebster
Guest Contributor
This is an "after the fact" observation, but one key consideration in the extended warranty or not question is how good is your dealer's relationship with the warranty company.

Our dealer has tracked cost vs. benefit on the warranty plans they sold. In every case, the owners who bought the extended plans from Brunswick on complex boats (twin engine, boats with gen & air, boats with powered moving parts like sofas, decks, sunpads, doors etc.) the benefots far exceeded the cost.

But, this dealer is professionally managed, they can fix a boat on the first try, yes, they are expensive, but they stand behind their work and they never fraudulently inflate an invoice.

The warranty co. claims folks aren't stupid and they track the labor hour/parts needed to say, change a seawater pump on an 5.7 L v-8, or replace a coupler. When they get a claim from a dealer that is substantially higher that the norm or contains parts not normally needed for a particular claim, they will require additional info from the dealer to support the claim. Often, the dealer just tells the customer that the claim was not approved rather than being faced with explaining an overstated charge to the warrranty company that was initially refused.

My suggestion is to ask other owners who have purchased the extended plan from your dealer about their success with claims. If your dealer cannot dance with the warranty company, then you are probably not going to be happy with the coverage.

Rocket_Scientis
Guest Contributor
Also an after the fact comment but for anyone else in the future thinking of buying the warranty. I would suggest passing. It seems just for catastrophic failures only. Read it very well and save your money for those repairs that will be needed. We purchased it and as "Two Names" said, everything has been denied from water sensors to sea water pumps to the alternator.