cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I own a 2008 Amberjack 290 with...

drsteves
Guest Contributor

I own a 2008 Amberjack 290 with twin 5.0L engines with Bravo 3s. I had to have the transom assemblies replaced due to corrosion. Both of my starters needed replacement soon after the engines were reinstalled. I made the mistake of not having the starters replaced while they were out whether or not they appeared to be ok. They are not very expensive. They are a nightmare to change when in the boat. Just some knowledge to share with our group!

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
It is very suspicious that both starters failed after the engines were replaced.

A more likely cause would be improperly installed wiring, such as loose or corroded electrical connections.

The FSM for my Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI Horizon engines specify Liquid Rubber insulation on those connections. I ensure they are clean and tight, then seal them under that Liquid Rubber encapsulation.

drsteves
Guest Contributor
Thanks for your comment. Both were the originals. They had quite a bit of corrosion. One of them had a crack in the plastic piece on the end of the solenoid where the wiring is connected. I hope they last for the next 10 years!

wingless
Rising Contributor
You’re welcome.

Yes, corrosion is a big problem with boat wiring. That’s why I follow the FSM to carefully and completely apply Liquid Rubber over those connections.

Corrosion may frequently be cleaned to attain acceptable results.

Yes, those plastic insulators are hard and brittle. Be careful when handling and be very careful to avoid over tightening. Once the part breaks it is trash.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
I agree that if you have your engines removed for any reason, replace the starters as they are nearly impossible to replace while in the boat. I use either Rust prohibitor or Yamalube to coat any exposed wiring especially in the engine room but throughout the boat as well. Doing that once a year has kept my 2010 in pretty good shape.