cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

coltsneckbob (Owner)I have a 2002...

coltsneckbob
Guest Contributor

coltsneckbob (Owner)

I have a 2002 340 Sundancer.   It has 8.1s.   I want to replace the manifolds,  risers and elbows.  They have seen 5 seasons now.  I've been googling the parts and I noticed that besides OEM there are a few after market replacements.  At least one claims to have a better warranty than Mercruiser OEM and also say their elbows/riser are stainless steel.  

Are there better after market manifolds etc that are in fact better than the Mercruiser OEM parts (which are more money than the after market replacements)?

4 REPLIES 4

wingless
Rising Contributor
It is only required to post one time per question.

My 2000 380DA has the 454 MAG MPI Horizon engines, w/ the wet raw water exhaust.

Your 8.1 exhaust looks very cool.

On mine I was getting 3 to 4 years on the OEM parts prior to having to discard from corrosion. I redesigned the exhaust from impossible to drain / impossible to flush, to now drain / fresh water flush / soapy water flush / Salt Away flush / drain bone dry after each usage.

The exhaust was just disassembled for internal inspection after three years of usage. The internals of the parts look brand spanking new. At this point I would be justifying that the corrosion would still permit additional usage.

My boat has always had OEM parts. Others use aftermarket, probably based on part cost savings. The lower cost parts are probably fine.

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31689/13883/150

Wilks1
Guest Contributor
You said you modified your manifold/risers so they could be completely drained bone dry. What did you do?

I have a 270DA with a 454 raw water. Earmuff fresh water/Salt Away flush even between outings.

cbruck
Guest Contributor
If you end up buying the OEM parts, there are kits that are not shown on the Mercury parts pages. I know that they have 2 risers and all the hoses etc as a kit. It will save you some money. I'm curious which company has SS? After 10 yrs my elbows are still fine but the risers and the manifolds had to be replaced.

Flacoconut
Guest Contributor
Wingless, how do you completely drain your exhaust system after flushing? Thanks!