cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I purchased a 2006 Sea Ray 280...

AMBREEZE
Guest Contributor

I purchased a 2006 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer two years ago, hired three different captains to help me learn everything and attended anchoring, first mate, and mainteance classes.  As a female all of this is a foreign language to me.  I tried several times to get support from Sea Ray because of all the maintenance issues and I've been beaten over the head $$$$$ for everything under the sun.  I am selling my boat because I have not been able to establish a good relationship with the Sea Ray dealer service department.  Mostly because I didn't have the knowledge to question them so they replaced just about everything.  When I joined boating forums and starting YOUtubing, I learned that both fuel pumps replaced don't normally go out at the same time, for example.  I love boating but I can no longer justify the amount of money I am spending and the problem I initially reported still remains.  Not sure if it's because I am female but when I started questioning the service department, I got a lot of negative push back which is interesting being that I purchased the boat from them.  Just sharing my disappointing experience.

18 REPLIES 18

Cruz_r
Guest Contributor
I can feel your disappointment. I just bought 2004 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer with twin 4.3 MPI Mercruiser. I'm still in the process of learning so many things about this boat. Previous owner spent over $10K on maintenance before he turned it over to me, so far it runs great and just hope that I will not experience what you have gone through. There are so many good and honest boat repair shop out there. Leave that boat dealership you're using if you're not happy with them.

Steverino
Guest Contributor
Ambreeze, sorry to hear your frustration.

I’m new to boating. I bought a 340 Sundancer a month ago and have had a vertical learning curve ever since.

I’m a pilot by trade so there’s a lot of transfer. And there’s ALOT to know and learn.

I surrounded myself with good/smart/experienced boaters. We do all our own maintenance as I agree with you....finding a good/honest boat mechanic is extremely frustrating. Even from the sea ray dealer.

So....if you haven’t sold your boat that’s what worked for me. Surround yourself with people you meet at the marina and hopefully they take you under their wing. But I do get your frustration.....

Wilks1
Guest Contributor
I don't know where you are located, but perhaps I can help.
I have a '95 27' sundancer that I've owned just under 2 years. I spent 6 years in the USCG and have been boating all my life. This is my first SeaRay and I've had to learn the boat like most owners.
It's obvious you purchased this style boat for the space and comfort, that was my reason also. I would like to offer whatever assistance in helping you find answers to concerns you might have. I'm by no means an expert in all areas but have a fairly good working knowledge especially in mechanical and electrical.
As one boater to another.
Ron

Suite_330
Guest Contributor
I'm not sure where you're located but there should be fellow boaters they can help you as well give you direction on who to trust. I feel your pain as far as trusting your local Siri dealer as I have had many issues as well and they were wrong about quite a few things

Coach
Guest Contributor
I hope you did not sell your boat yet. I think coming to this forum is a great step for you. I also am a new boater and going through the learning curve. Don't give up yet. Please, let us know where you are from and perhaps, what is the main problem you are having with your boat? I'm from Chicago and have become a member of certain clubs on Facebook and these clubs have become instrumental for me with my boat. The people on these sites are so happy to help. I joined, Chicago Boaters, Sea Ray 280 Sundance Owners, etc. People on these sites are so helpful, provide pictures, etc.
So, let us help you.

WeeksEnd
Guest Contributor
Hey I graduated from 12 years of pontooning into a Sea Ray 360. Talk about a learning curve. Man or Woman I think most boaters can share some of the same frustrations. Don’t depend on your local Sea Ray dealer for everything. There is more than enough information out there to help you make the right decisions. You’ve already come so far. To quote a frequent participant on this sight...There is no better time spent than that wasted on a boat.

Carlos40
Guest Contributor
I have had similar frustrating experiences with my Searay Sundancer 310; my third boat from this brand. Service has been unreliable and not trustworthy here in Wrightsville Beach, NC. I think that Searay headquarter people have no desire to improve their image in terms of maintaining quality control. Very disappointing. Will not longer recommend or buy their products.

Sous
Guest Contributor
Yea AM don't give up yet, boating is to much fun and is so rewarding. Where are you located? I'm 100% confident that fellow boaters, both near you and virtual will help as much as they can.

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
Don't give up just find a better place to have your boat serviced. The best resource for anything boats is other boaters. Start with fellow boaters and dockmates.

SCCML
Guest Contributor
I bought a 2005 260 Sundancer 2 years ago. I have had to spend a fair amount to get it in top shape. I found a local non-SeaRay, but Mercruiser certified, boat shop (with a female service manager). Over time we have developed a good working relationship on not only fixing issues, but performing preventative maintenance as well. I'm sure with the service this fall I will be ready to go in the Spring with no issues.

Carlos40
Guest Contributor
Where is this service located?

Franky
Guest Contributor
Nest advice hang out with the life long boaters, they are a wealth of knowledge. I have a 280 sundancer with twins. Spent a few hours on the water with an old salt, he taught me a lot, also was great resource for maintenance

Two_Names
Guest Contributor
It is my experience that when one piece on one engine goes or needs replacement you should generally replace the same in the other engine. Of course there are many variables that need to be considered. I went down the road of replacing moving parts in one engine without changing on the other and regretted it because shortly after the first was replaced the same piece went on the other engine. That said, I don’t think the treatment you received is gender specific and it’s incredibly important to find a trustworthy mechanic.

Brite_Idea
Guest Contributor
I disagree while maintenance is the same repairs are different.

AMBREEZE
Guest Contributor
Thanks everyone, I have joined boating forums and talking to other boaters too.

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Sea Ray Owners Club

AMBREEZE
Guest Contributor
Thanks everyone, I have joined boating forums and talking to other boaters too.

MIke
Guest Contributor
We had a lot of problems with our 2005 280 when we first got her. The first year repair cost through the dealer was so many dollars we just about got rid of the boat. I ended up having both fuel pumps replaced and was shocked with the effort and cost.

Talking to other boaters in the area, I found shops that did better work and charged less than the dealer. I do a lot of maintenance myself (oil changes, tuneups, etc.) and go to an independent shipyard for the big stuff like bottom paint, etc.

My biggest suggestion is talk to other boaters in your area and find a different place for service. You may be MUCH happier with the outcome and keep the boat!

Seevee
Guest Contributor
Ambreeze, Sorry you're having a bad experience. First, the 280 Dancer is a really nice boat with a lot of pluses. But it has a lot of parts, especially with gen, AC, cabin, often 2 engines. Any boat like that will have maintenance.
We budget $3K a year on maintenance, and works out pretty close. We have 3 partners, 1 doesn't operate the boat and 2 are mechanically incline.
We buy all the common replacement parts and consumables long before needed, even things like manifolds, spare lift pump, etc.
But buying them in advance allows us to shop for good prices and eliminate down time should they be needed.
However, you should have a good feel on what's needed 90% of the time. And follow the annual maintenance schedule.

Now, I'd advise to get a partner that knows a bit more about boats... someone you can trust. Find someone that perhaps complements your schedule. If you work during the week and boat on weekends, find a retired person that boats during the week.

And, find a GOOD mechanic, that's fair and prompt. Not easy to find, but they are out there. They should be trained, too, preferably factory trained and have the tools and computer to service your boat.

Don't give up. Ownerships is MUCH better than a boat club. You can do what you want, go out at night, or overnight. And with a partner, not much more than a club.