cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap in Cockpit carpet I have a...

jimboc
Guest Contributor

Snap in Cockpit carpet I have a 1994 Sea Ray Sundancer 290. I noticed that she has canvas type button snaps all over the floor of the cockpit and Helm areas. I have noticed other similar boats that have removable indoor outdoor type carpet snapped over all those snaps. I'm wondering if it might have been OEM for Sea Ray since I have seen it on several boats. Does anybody know if they can be purchased somewhere or online?  I'm hoping they dont have to be custom-made because they all would have to be cut to the same pattern. But if they do have to be custom-made does anybody know the best way to Trace out the patterns and snap locations are to bring to a canvas place as my boat is in a slip and I don't have a trailer

6 REPLIES 6

wingless
Rising Contributor
Any of the companies selling replacement carpet kits, like this one, will provide an acceptable replacement to OEM.

http://www.snapincarpet.com/ecommerce/SeaRay-cockpit-carpet-kit-290-DA-93-.cfm?item_id=143&parent=647&navPanel=

All of them require the snaps to be installed to match the boat. I like the Pres-N-Snap tool.

http://www.sailrite.com/Pres-N-Snap-Fastener-Tool

JDS
Guest Contributor
I used a large sheet of clear plastic. I cut it until i was able to get it to lay perfectly flat on the floor. I taped it down.. then took a sharpie and made the patterns that way. MAKE SURE you write "top" on the top of the pattern!!! I just did this and it worked perfectly. I also bought a good quantity carpet, cut it and had it bound. My carpet does not get wet so I don't have a need for marine carpet...it was a third of the price..

jimboc
Guest Contributor
Thanks

jimboc
Guest Contributor
Wingless, the Snaps are already set in the cockpit floor as the previous owner evidently had this type of carpet all I need is the carpet with the other half of the snaps to click on to them. So it doesn't sound like I will need that press and snap tool correct?

wingless
Rising Contributor
The carpet is always provided w/o the snaps installed.

The snaps screwed into the floor are installed first. The snaps are installed into the carpet to match the flooring.

Yes, a tool is required.

When I do mine I rub pencil carbon onto the hull snap, stretch the fabric into position, then press it onto the snap to leave a pencil circle target for snap placement.

jimboc
Guest Contributor
OK thanks